Bianca (gnome) wants to boot KDE

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
idiotkiwi
Level 2
Level 2

Bianca (gnome) wants to boot KDE

Post by idiotkiwi »

After having a look at a KDE package my Bianca (Gnome) now asks if I want to make 01KDE.desktop my default for future sessions. And adds, not installed.

I have reinstalled my Bianca but as Home is in a separate partition nothing has changed. I wish to stay with Gnome and ideally as I am the only used auto login

Any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
Euan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

What do you mean by "look at a KDE package", and which one?

I can think of some crazy ways KDE might think it is now installed, but....crazy man.

look for a .kde* file or folder in your home directory and delete it.
this might stop it asking if you about the 01KDE.desktop.
did you remove the KDE app? did you do a complete removal?
a complete removal removes any config files associated with the app.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
idiotkiwi
Level 2
Level 2

Gnome / KDE

Post by idiotkiwi »

Thanks Boo for the help.

I downloaded PCLinuxOS for a look at a KDE based product (I have no DVD burner so Mint KDE was not an option) and installed into a spare partition but used the same Home. This turned out to be a bad idea as my Grub got totally messed up and I finished up reinstalling Bianca to fix it. At the end was left with my KDE log in problem.

FYI, the Ubuntu forum suggestion to reinstall the program but to refuse to let the partitioner reformat and go through to grub installation did not work. I installer would not proceed past the partitioning stage.

No I have not removed PCLOS as I am not sure how to do a total and thought if I stuffed up I would be worse off. I looked at a couple of Googles but too many gaps on the ones I saw for a beginner.

I saw the .KDE in the file but again left it because not sure of the result. Am at work at the moment (5.30 AM) so will have another look later.

Unlike one of our Guru's, I am working on the principal of "if you cant fix it. break it, if you cant break it don't play with it."

Thanks & Regards
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

Don't delete the KDE stuff since it will upset PCLOS.
so is the KDE message appearing when you login to mint?

I installed E17 last night on one of my systems so now i have gnome and E17 as DTE's. when I chose E17 for the session login it asked me if I wanted to make it my default desktop (this is normal), i chose "for this session only".

are you getting that kind of message?

if it is there is most likely a default session file in your home directory about which session is your default, it may also have which session you used last login.

going between PCLOS and mint may change the values in this file each time you login to each one.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
idiotkiwi
Level 2
Level 2

Gnome wants to boot KDE

Post by idiotkiwi »

Thanks Boo.

I had a busy day yesterday could not get to a machine. I had to mow the lawns after work and could not get the tractor started so lost a couple of hours. It ended up as a loose connection in the electrical system

Deleting .KDE did not work so finished up reinstalling everything using different user names so both packages work now.

As I comment the PCLOS was RC 4. It looks nice but I am manually having to install internet each time to log in. I still prefer Gnome (and Mint) but was impressed with number of packages included.

Regards

Return to “Other topics”