IBM, Dell E176FP and ATI RV200, Please help

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
deverett

IBM, Dell E176FP and ATI RV200, Please help

Post by deverett »

I love Linux Mint 7 and don't wont to go to PClinux or Maddriva. When I boot with the on-board video there is no problem, but when I boot with my APG ATI RV200 I get "Cannot Display Video Mode, 1280x1024 65hz Optimum" then it goes ahead and boots up I get the same message when I shut down. I cant watch DVD's on Mandriva or PClinux and the videos are jerkey whin I use the IBM on-board video.. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: IBM, Dell E176FP and ATI RV200, Please help

Post by richyrich »

ATI has come out with a new driver reported to fix the problems with Jaunty/Gloria. :D

Link found in this thread from yesterday: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=27813

Hope this helps, Richard
deverett

Post by deverett »

Thanks I'll look right now and see. (Well I tried it didn't do anything) I went to ATI website looking for a driver for Linux , nothing for the ATI 7500 RV200 was listed. Anyone else with a suggestion would be appreciated.
deverett

Post by deverett »

OK, I have the inf driver for windoz hoe do I install it on to linux? Thanks
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Did you download & install the Linux driver from the Softpedia link in the other post? There was a BIG green 'Download Now' button.

EDIT: the Windows drivers are for Windows! sorry!
deverett

Post by deverett »

Yes I did download it but it was an EXE file, if i overlooked it I don't know, but i looked and didn't see another.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Your right, I tried to find the download but kept being redirected to the 'Driver Update Tool' instead. Which is made for Windows! :evil:
Have you tried installing the drivers through the program called Envy-NG? If you don't have it installed, you can install it through Synaptic package manager.
deverett

Post by deverett »

No I havent, I'll download it and try, thanks.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

When you first run Envy, it will automatically detect your hardware, and recommend a driver. Make sure you try the recommended one first. And do a reboot to make sure.

good luck, Richard
deverett

Post by deverett »

Rich, all I did was mess up my computer, I loaded Pclinux if they can fix this problem surely the Mint guys are smart enough to fix it. I've noticed with every linux distro something always different, I wonder why this is? PClinux seems has it all, thanks Rich
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Hi, It's the linux kernel that contains the drivers. That is why you'll find the same problems with Ubuntu, Mint, Mandriva, all distros that use the same kernel. From reading the forums, there is a lot of work going on upstream (kernel developers) to fix these issues.
On a happier note, ATI, realising their faux-pas, have released the source code for their legacy drivers to the open-source community. This means open-source drivers will greatly be improved in the near future.

Ubuntu has many more developers, corporate support, etc. and they don't have a fix yet either! :(

regards, Richard
deverett

Post by deverett »

Thanks Rich, I bought another card a ATI 9550 256mb and it works perfect.

Thanks for your help, Everett

Return to “Beginner Questions”