Linux Mint 7 x64 RC1 Bug Thread

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
tonyric

Re: Linux Mint 7 x64 RC1 Bug Thread

Post by tonyric »

Installed last night and must say that I am impressed. Just one issue so far. It has to do with both pidgin and kopete (my preferred client). It seems that connecting to AIM and MSN work great on both but connecting to yahoo is intermittent. I am not talking about Kopetes annoying habit of disconnecting/reconnecting. I am talking about sitting and spinning at "connecting" on both client apps. I have tried telnet to the yahoo server on port 5050 and I hit it so it isn't a firewall issue. I have launched a windows VM (on the same system using NAT) and trillian connects fine.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

kmrdeva: try it with the latest mintMenu 4.7.8, the changelog says something like fixes bug with terminalonly=true, e.g. htop
tonyric

Post by tonyric »

tonyric wrote:Installed last night and must say that I am impressed. Just one issue so far. It has to do with both pidgin and kopete (my preferred client). It seems that connecting to AIM and MSN work great on both but connecting to yahoo is intermittent. I am not talking about Kopetes annoying habit of disconnecting/reconnecting. I am talking about sitting and spinning at "connecting" on both client apps. I have tried telnet to the yahoo server on port 5050 and I hit it so it isn't a firewall issue. I have launched a windows VM (on the same system using NAT) and trillian connects fine.
Disregard, this appears to be a problem on yahoos end.
kmrdeva

Post by kmrdeva »

emorrp1 wrote:kmrdeva: try it with the latest mintMenu 4.7.8, the changelog says something like fixes bug with terminalonly=true, e.g. htop
Thanks for the tip, emorrp1. After the update, htop now launches fine from the mint menu. However, I've discovered that GCompris (the educational games and apps packages) doesn't launch no matter how many times I click on it, via the menu (I need to figure out how to execute it via cli to confirm it's the menu and not the app itself causing issues). I've disabled compiz but no joy, still.

BTW, how can I know what version of mintMenu I am running on my PC? Sorry for the stupid question, I'm new to Linux, somewhat.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

kmrdeva wrote:BTW, how can I know what version of mintMenu I am running on my PC? Sorry for the stupid question, I'm new to Linux, somewhat.
As you'll see across this forum there are no stupid questions: Right-click --> About on the panel applet. You could try launching gcompris from the gnome menu applet, but if it doesn't work, I'd post a new thread about it in the support forum.
larsonkev
Level 1
Level 1

Post by larsonkev »

I'm testing Linux Mint 7 x64 RC1 on a Dell Precision M6300 laptop with 4GB RAM. The only bug that I have found so far is that the system reacts differently when selecting the "Quit" options from the Menu.

If I select "Quit" again from the exit menu, the system shuts down properly.

If I don't select any option from the exit menu (relying on the "system will shutdown in 60 seconds" feature), the system shuts down but does not power off the laptop.

This feature works just fine on the 32-bit version of Linux Mint 7 that I'm running on another Dell laptop.

BTW- Linux MInt is great!
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

larsonkev wrote:I'm testing Linux Mint 7 x64 RC1 on a Dell Precision M6300 laptop with 4GB RAM. The only bug that I have found so far is that the system reacts differently when selecting the "Quit" options from the Menu.

If I select "Quit" again from the exit menu, the system shuts down properly.

If I don't select any option from the exit menu (relying on the "system will shutdown in 60 seconds" feature), the system shuts down but does not power off the laptop.

This feature works just fine on the 32-bit version of Linux Mint 7 that I'm running on another Dell laptop.

BTW- Linux MInt is great!
I also have this problem, but it is nothing to do with Mint in general, this is an Ubuntu issue with Jaunty and its x64 edition. I'm trying to resolve this as well.
kmrdeva

Post by kmrdeva »

emorrp1 wrote:
kmrdeva wrote:BTW, how can I know what version of mintMenu I am running on my PC? Sorry for the stupid question, I'm new to Linux, somewhat.
As you'll see across this forum there are no stupid questions: Right-click --> About on the panel applet. You could try launching gcompris from the gnome menu applet, but if it doesn't work, I'd post a new thread about it in the support forum.
Thanks for the 'get mintMenu version number' tip. By the way, I decided to run gcompris from the terminal, and I got the output below. I'll research this for a bit before I give up and go post in the support forum.

Code: Select all

gcompris &
[1] 8334
$ exec_prefix NULL
XF86VidMode: Compiled with XF86VidMode.
If you have problems starting GCompris in fullscreen, try the -x option to disable XF86VidMode.

** (process:8334): WARNING **: Binary relocation disabled
package_data_dir         = /usr/share/gcompris/boards
package_locale_dir       = /usr/share/locale
package_plugin_dir       = /usr/lib/gcompris
package_python_plugin_dir= /usr/share/gcompris/python
Infos:
   Config dir '/home/kumar/.config/gcompris'
   Users dir '/home/kumar/My GCompris'
   Database '/home/kumar/.config/gcompris/gcompris_sqlite.db'
Exception ImportError: 'No module named Numeric' in 'garbage collection' ignored
Fatal Python error: unexpected exception during garbage collection
zombie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by zombie »

kmrdeva

Post by kmrdeva »

I found a posting in Ubuntu Forums on the gcompris launch error. I'll try the fix later tonight when I get home, after catching Transformers 2 in the cinema.. :D

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... ostcount=1

Code: Select all

The GCompris in the Jaunty repositories doesn't work. It's an old version with an unsatisfied dependency. Installing python-numeric will fix it.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”