Restoring Computer & Home icons to Desktop[solved]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dnmint

Restoring Computer & Home icons to Desktop[solved]

Post by dnmint »

I find that the icons Computer & DNMint Home are missing from Desktop. I am unable to open Home Folder or Computer ( icon based opening) from Menu>Places either.
How do I restore the icons on to dektop & open them
Pls advise.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Cant open Computer or Home

Post by Aging Technogeek »

To restore the desktop icons try menu=>Preferences=>Mint Desktop. Check the boxes for Computer and Home then click Apply. This should restore your icons. Hopefully they will work.
dnmint

Post by dnmint »

Tried that.Went to mintdesktop. The Computer - Home were checked. Unchecked / & rechecked the same still no go. Does not work. It seems I have messed up something. The Mint works fine otherwise except I am not able to see the mounted volumes or folders. ( I have Felicia-Gnome - Universal edition) :? :?
Pls render advise.
Thanks
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

you haven't by any chance deleting the Desktop folder in your home directory? Or told nautilus not to deal with the desktop (in gconf-editor)?
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

emorrp1 wrote:you haven't by any chance deleting the Desktop folder in your home directory? Or told nautilus not to deal with the desktop (in gconf-editor)?
...or changed the name of the "Desktop" folder...
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
dnmint

Post by dnmint »

I dont think so. Not that I remember. Not likely.
What I might have done is to mdelete the icons from desktop by mistake- not sure of that too.
Is there a way of restoring them say thru command lines.
As you can see everything else is working fine- only no way of accessing the mounted volumes or/home folders
Pls help
Thanks
dnmint

Restoring Computer or Home -Icons missing rom Desktop

Post by dnmint »

When I tried to save a picture I could see Home directory. /But not computer or mounted volumes. If I can restore Computer on Desktop It will set other things right I think
Any help.
Thanks
emorrp1

Re: Restoring Computer & Home icons to Desktop

Post by emorrp1 »

ok, this is a long shot, since it's effectively what mintDesktop does, but manually: launch gconf-editor (ALT+F2), go to Apps > Nautilus > Desktop, check the various settings in there.
dnmint

Post by dnmint »

did not work
Do I have to reinstall or epair Felicia? If repair how to do it?
Thanks
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

• Open Terminal
  • Run nautilus
  • logout
  • Reboot
    --just to clear the system, but it should work if you just login again; restoring the desktop session
  • Login again..
dnmint

Post by dnmint »

Thanks a lot. Worked beautifully.
Will be care ful hitherafter.
Thanks again
:D :D
dnmint

Post by dnmint »

There is one glich though. When I try to mount Windows - ntfs volumes, it asks for authentication. When I do that it says cant mount volume....... but on clicking on the volume I find it is mounted. The error message source ???? is to be removed.Any advice
Thanks

Return to “Software & Applications”