Thunderbird account help

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Thunderbird account help

Post by gibbs1984 »

Hi,

Can one of you savy guys/girls help me please, I formatted and reinstalled so am setting everything up again, I've saved the .mozilla-thunderbird folder which I backed up but when trying to setup my account again it doesn't seem to work.

I've replaced the .mozilla-thunderbird file with my backed up one but it doesn't automatically register it so how do I setup Thunderbird so that it sees all my old folders and e-mails?

What I forgot to mention was that I created my account again before swapping these folders and can see my Inbox with all my e-mails in that box, should I just move the .msf files to the .mozilla-thunderbird and then it'll see them?

I'm running Mint 7 Gnome and I'm trying to import my Hotmail account (yes, I know but I've always used it!), I have the WebMail and Hotmail add-ons for Thunderbird.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
hoe

Re: Thunderbird account help

Post by hoe »

Open Mint-install and remove Thunderbird and then make sure .mozilla-thunderbird is deleted in your home directory. Reinstall Thunderbird and now copy your old .mozilla-thunderbird to your home directory. Go to the menu and launch your Thunderbird and you should be okay ... works for me!

Wayne
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, I did as you said and moved my .mozilla-thunderbird file to the home directory before doing anything in Thunderbird and when I started Thunderbird this is the first thing that pops up, it says not to import anything so I thought I'd ask here again before proceeding because it looks to me that it's not going to import my folders.

gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

Hmm, sorry, looks like a bug with Screenshot there but you can just about see it :D
hoe

Post by hoe »

You don't need to import anything ... by copying your old .mozilla-thunderbird into your home directory everything is done.

Wayne
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

Hi me again,

I've setup Thunderbird (didn't try for a while) and I've got my Inbox with all my e-mails, I can send and receive e-mails perfectly fine so everything is working well apart from I still can't see my folders with my other e-mails in, I've still got the .mozilla-thunderbird file, which I've used to reset up Thunderbird but how do I get Thunderbird to see them.

I've attached screenshots of the folders that are in the .mozilla-thunderbird file:

And all my folders are in the folder called Work Folders.

Have I got some folders in these directories that shouldn't be there and are confusing Thunderbird?

I just can't work out how to get Thunderbird to see them.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

Anyone?
hoe

Post by hoe »

Wish l could help! Do you still have the original file from your old install saved somewhere safe. Maybe you could delete the one you are having trouble with and then copy the original back in. Another thing if you go to that original file and open it does it have the same files as the one that you are having troubles with?

Wayne
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

hoe wrote:Wish l could help! Do you still have the original file from your old install saved somewhere safe. Maybe you could delete the one you are having trouble with and then copy the original back in. Another thing if you go to that original file and open it does it have the same files as the one that you are having troubles with?

Wayne
Hi,

The one I'm using is the .mozilla-thunderbird folder from my old install, it just doesn't seem to recognise the folders...

I've still got the new .mozilla-thunderbird folder saved on my Desktop, might try using that and moving the folders across to it but I'm not holding my breath, at least I haven't lost anything, just can't access it :D
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

Hmm, getting closer, I found out that the the directory Thunderbird was looking in was different to where my files where so I've moved my files to that folder but now all that happens is that Thunderbird sees the folders but not the .msf files, so I have all the folders in Thunderbird now but when clicking on one of them there are no e-mails in them.

Close but no cigar :D
saxoli

Post by saxoli »

Hy everyone !!

Maybe I can help ??

In my opinion it's a problem with different thunderbird profiles.

On your first picture, there are two different .default profiles of thunderbird.

You can manage them open thunderbird with the option ' -profilemanager '.

Create a desktopicon, edit the start-properties and delete the ' %u' - option and add ' -profilemanager' .

And then start the right profile with all you extensions and original folders of old installation.

Greetings,

Oliver
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

saxoli wrote:Hy everyone !!

Maybe I can help ??

In my opinion it's a problem with different thunderbird profiles.

On your first picture, there are two different .default profiles of thunderbird.

You can manage them open thunderbird with the option ' -profilemanager '.

Create a desktopicon, edit the start-properties and delete the ' %u' - option and add ' -profilemanager' .

And then start the right profile with all you extensions and original folders of old installation.

Greetings,

Oliver
Thanks for your response Oliver.

I'll give it a go tomorrow when my eyes are less blurry and I'm not so tired :D

Steve

Return to “Software & Applications”