.rpm ?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
whare1
Level 2
Level 2

.rpm ?

Post by whare1 »

Well I think the subject description says it all

Anyway to recap Im a noob and I want to open an rpm package under mint (Bianca) I am currently running live due to testing (Using it now) but I just carnt get my head around how to use them I did search the forums/google and all i realy found was rpm.org (no software downloads to help though)

can anybody tip me in the right direction so that I can start learning how to run Linux

Thanx for all the help I sure you will give ;)

Will
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

rpm is an acronym for Redhat Package Manger.

the title says it all.

rpm are for redhat and redhat based distributions of Linux.

what you want is .deb package for debian based distributions (like mint).

but the best way to install an application is to use synaptic.
You can find it under mintmenu--> install software.
then you can use the search function to find the package or just browse for it.
once you find the package right click on it and choose "mark for installation"
then click the apply button. accept any dependencies.

BTW you can't install packages while using the live cd, since there is nowhere to install them.

have fun.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
whare1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by whare1 »

Thanx for the reply Boo

I will install then and have a go I will let you no how I get on later

Thanx
Will
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: .rpm ?

Post by scorp123 »

whare1 wrote:Anyway to recap Im a noob and I want to open an rpm package
And why would you want to do this? Can you tell us more about that software you're trying to install?

As "Boo" wrote in his posting: RPM is for rpm-based distros (Novell/SUSE, Red Hat, Fedora, Mandriva, many others) whereas Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu, which in turn is based on Debian. Debian-based distros use the *.deb package format.

Those package formats can be converted with programs such as "alien" (not recommended for newbies); but usually you should always be able to find the right package for your distro, be that *.rpm or *.deb

Again: Can you please tell us more about the software you are trying to install?
whare1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by whare1 »

Thanx for the reply scorp

first of all I WAS trying to install Xchat (intill I found it in the menu) I was going to install it as I was trying to use Ubuntu to start with and that does not have it installed anyway I crossed over to this dew to the extras that are installed (MP3 codex etc) anyway long story short the download from xchat for linux is a RPM file but as you no I dont need it now

Teach me for not looking lol

Thanx anyway

Will

Return to “Beginner Questions”