Card reader does not recognize SDHC cards [partially solved]

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cariboo

Card reader does not recognize SDHC cards [partially solved]

Post by Cariboo »

Sytem: Dual Boot Linux Mint 7 Main Gloria and Windows Vista
Hard ware: HP Pavilion dv4 1320ca with HP Pavilion jMicron 5 in 1 card reader which is identified
and has a Kernel driver in use: sdhci-pci (see lspci-output):
lspci -v
08:00.0 System peripheral: JMicron Technologies, Inc. SD/MMC Host Controller
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 30fb
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
Memory at d1200300 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
Expansion ROM at b0000000 [disabled]
Capabilities: [a4] Power Management version 3
Capabilities: [80] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
Capabilities: [94] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit- Queue=0/0 Enable-
Kernel driver in use: sdhci-pci
Kernel modules: sdhci-pci

Issue: Card reader works with SD memory card but not with SD-HC cards.
All googeling didn't provide any remedy yet.
Does somebody have the same problem? Already solved? Please Help!
Any reply, comment, thought, idea is appreciated!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Card reader does not recognize SDHC cards

Post by Husse »

not with SD-HC cards.
With more than one card or a specific card?
I have a similar problem (don't know the type of the card though) and I found out that the camera formatted the card in a manner that Linux refuses to use but Windows does use it (Windows is generally less concerned with safety)
The size of the card and its MBR (if it's called that) does not add up at all and using it (outside the camera :)) can cause permanent logical damage to the card (i.e. loss of data)
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

Hi, is it meant to recognise SDHC? The most common single-digit-in-1 card readers don't seem to support SDHC, just SD.
optimize me

Post by optimize me »

I just ran into much the same problem. My card reader is recognized, but the system doesn't automount the memory card that I put into the slot, and I can't manually mount it.

relevant section of lspci -v:

Code: Select all

06:04.2 Mass storage controller: Texas Instruments 5-in-1 Multimedia Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS/MS PRO/xD)
	Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems Device ff00
	Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 57, IRQ 18
	Memory at dc004000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: tifm_7xx1
	Kernel modules: tifm_7xx1
The card itself is one of these: http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-SDSDB-102 ... B0001A06GW

Side note: I can't even use a USB cable and browse my camera. The last time I did it that way was back in Ubuntu Gutsy, so I can't say for sure when that stopped being recognized. It was always easier to just slide the card in than lug around a USB cable. Now neither is any good.

EDIT: I should say that the card does show up in Nautilus - the computer knows it's there.. It just won't {auto,regular}mount it. Here's the last few lines from dmesg after inserting the card:

Code: Select all

[25770.564129] tifm_core: MMC/SD card detected in socket 0:1
[25770.890806] mmc1: new SD card at address e624
[25770.974644] mmcblk0: mmc1:e624 SD01G 968 MiB 
[25770.974741]  mmcblk0: p1
[26081.582118] tifm0 : demand removing card from socket 0:1
[26081.582195] mmc1: card e624 removed
Cariboo

Post by Cariboo »

Husse wrote:
not with SD-HC cards.
With more than one card or a specific card?
Right now I only have one SD-HC card, that's to say a "Transcend SDHC Class 6 4GB"

:mrgreen: Now here comes the weird fact:
I have "HAMA USB 2.0 Card Reader 35 in 1". When I connect this to any of the two USB ports the SDHC Card is accessible and correctly read/write- able.

I guess there is an issue with the driver for the internal JMicron controller :?:
Husse

Post by Husse »

emorrp1 stated
The most common single-digit-in-1 card readers don't seem to support SDHC
My 5 in 1 has problems too
optimize me

Post by optimize me »

I think I found a fix, looking for the answer to a wholly unrelated problem here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=157&t=27840

If you open up System > Administration > Authorizations and look for the Device Access section. Under there, there's headings for things like Smart Card Readers, Digital Cameras, and so on.

I changed them to 'yes' under all the user options, and now they work fine - automount and everything. Try it out and see what works for you.. you might not have to change all three setting to 'yes'.
Cariboo

Post by Cariboo »

emorrp1 wrote:Hi, is it meant to recognise SDHC? The most common single-digit-in-1 card readers don't seem to support SDHC, just SD.
To answer your question, I only can say that Vista reads SDHC cards in this built-in (internal) card reader! So, I think it is meant to recognize SDHC :roll:
Cariboo

Post by Cariboo »

optimize me wrote:..............
....Try it out and see what works for you.. you might not have to change all three setting to 'yes'.
Thanks for the hint...I changed it for Smart Card Readers and Digital Cameras, but it didn't solve the problem :mrgreen:
Husse

Post by Husse »

I have "HAMA USB 2.0 Card Reader 35 in 1". When I connect this to any of the two USB ports the SDHC Card is accessible and correctly read/write- able.

I guess there is an issue with the driver for the internal JMicron controller
I think emorrp1 hit the nail when he stated that "single digit" in 1 readers have a problem
And yes it may work in Vista and be a "driver" problem but as I stated I have a problem where it is a matter with the card not the reader
I hope you can use the 35 in 1 reader
Cariboo

Post by Cariboo »

Husse wrote: I think emorrp1 hit the nail when he stated that "single digit" in 1 readers have a problem
And yes it may work in Vista and be a "driver" problem but as I stated I have a problem where it is a matter with the card not the reader
I hope you can use the 35 in 1 reader
OK, it's not that convenient though, but I can live with it...
maybe there is solution in the future.. :wink:
Cariboo

Re: Card reader does not recognize SDHC cards [partially solved]

Post by Cariboo »

Hello,

Any news on the SDHC issue...
I'm asking because I joined a course in digital photography far away from home and....
I can't work on my pictures on the computer because I left my HAMA USB card reader at home....
:mrgreen:
Husse

Post by Husse »

As this was at least partially solved I have not done anything about it - normal procedure :)
From what I read here I think that this is a kernel problem, possibly solved by a custom built kernel
It also seems that kernel 2.6.27 is common when you look for this kind of problem
It is probably a timeout problem
Sorry that is about all I get
Cariboo

Post by Cariboo »

Husse wrote:As this was at least partially solved I have not done anything about it - normal procedure :)
From what I read here I think that this is a kernel problem, possibly solved by a custom built kernel
It also seems that kernel 2.6.27 is common when you look for this kind of problem
It is probably a timeout problem
Sorry that is about all I get
Thanks Husse for the efforts....
I think I wait until the issue is solved officially, if this will ever be the case :?: :roll:
Unfortunately I can't offer any help programming wise, because I'm not educated enough in programming at all :oops:
Husse

Post by Husse »

We can't all be programmers :)
Lets hope 2.6.30 solves it (I think that's gonna be the one in Mint 8))
This is one where I don't think I'll ever come any further....

Return to “Hardware Support”