best way to upgrade?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
darco
Level 4
Level 4

best way to upgrade?

Post by darco »

I am currently running LM 6 x64 and dual boot to Windows...I am trying to figure out the best/safest way to upgrade to LM7 x64.
Should I:

1. Wait for the upgrade path provided by Clem

2. Install from cd and overwrite the /folder but leave the /home intact?

3. Clean install

I prefer not to have to reinstall my apps so 3 would be only if I bonk the upgrade...

thxs
darco
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lagagnon

Re: best way to upgrade?

Post by lagagnon »

I have always used option 2 on almost every distro upgrade/distro change I have done. I have a severe distrust of distro upgrades. Hence why it is important to always have a /home partition.
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

lagagnon wrote:I have always used option 2 on almost every distro upgrade/distro change I have done. I have a severe distrust of distro upgrades. Hence why it is important to always have a /home partition.
If you do this it is important that you keep only files/folders which you need and delete folders which relate to anything the system uses as otherwise you may just end up with a mismatched mess :wink:
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

carl: you are absolutely correct. Also note that any systemwide changes you made (ie crons, changing system fonts, etc.) will be gone so you must keep notes on changes you make and backup any system scripts you wrote that are in /
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

lagagnon wrote:carl: you are absolutely correct. Also note that any systemwide changes you made (ie crons, changing system fonts, etc.) will be gone so you must keep notes on changes you make and backup any system scripts you wrote that are in /
I know I'm right I've made this mistake myself :lol:
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

ok, the weekend is here so time to install Gloria....I use the #2 method and it installed, I swear under 5 minutes!!......
I do have a slight problem though. When I ran the partitioner, I chose to reformat the /root and chose the swap file I had already created in the previous OS.
I left alone my /home folder. After the installation, my saved /home comes up as "204.7 Media" folder with everything intact. I no longer see a /swap folder nor a /home folder when I run the df -h command......I have a screenshot of gparted....should I rename sda2 to /home?
thxs

darco
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

Just re ran the install cd and corrected my errors....all good to go....

darco

Return to “Installation & Boot”