Errors VirtualBox

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
artie
Level 1
Level 1

Errors VirtualBox

Post by artie »

Hey Guys,
I just installed Linux Mint 6 (Felicia) and I am trying to set up VirtualBox but I keep getting these error codes.

Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
Machine
Interface:
IMachine {1e509de4-d96c-4f44-8b94-860194f710ac}

and

VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (rc=-1908)

I have tried suggestions from other sites (reinstalling vbox and sudo '/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup' any ideas?
Thanks for the help,
artie
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Errors VirtualBox

Post by DrHu »

artie wrote:I have tried suggestions from other sites (reinstalling vbox and sudo '/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup' any ideas?
Did you use the virtualbox version that is in the mint repositories, get via synaptic (Package manager), mint menu
Either reinstall virtualbox to match your system (kernel) or in a terminal, try /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup to reset virualbox
http://dreamlinuxforums.org/index.php?topic=3712.0;wap2

(reinstalling vbox
The error is a mismatched kernel vois-a-vis the virtualbox version or it is an uninstalled driver
I wold make sure you get a clean reinstall
  • In synaptic completely remove the application virtualbox, if that is the method you used to initially install it
  • Delete the hidden /home/.virtualbox directory
    --this will remove any vm machines you have created, if you got that far
    --removing this directory in /home/userid makes sure virtualbox has a clean slate when it instaslled again..
Last edited by DrHu on Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
artie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by artie »

Thanks for the quick response drhu. I have tried all those options except matching the kernel and I am not sure how to do that. And yes I got vbox from synaptic.
Thanks again,
artie
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

The easiest way is to read the version number in synaptic and check the virtualbox web site to see what matches
--screenshot is the version (2.2) available in Linux mint 7 Gloria
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... &sk=t&sd=a
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 8&start=15
--and this is the version in forum suggested that works in Linux Mint 6 Felicia..
artie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by artie »

Thanks DrHu, I installed the newer version of vbox matching the kernel and it worked but when I am setting up windows it will let me hit Enter to set up windows xp
but it will not recognize the fact that I hit F8 to agree to the EULA. Anymore ideas? Thanks Again.
muttonhunter
Level 1
Level 1

Post by muttonhunter »

i had the same trouble, finally read somewhere that the vb version for ubuntu intrepid would work, sure enough did , i think i got it from the vb site maybe unbuntu forums. good luck, i tried for over a month until i got vb working.
Ip 35-E, E6750 @3.4GHZ, evga 8800gt
helena-x64.
f@h 24/7
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

If a Function key doesn't work for some reason, keyboard selection on the Linux host, but the cursor key or page down does, you can use those keys to get to the bottom of the file to accept the Eula
Fred

Post by Fred »

Try the instructions in the below thread, and see if that doesn't solve your VirtualBox install problem.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... ap#p143061

Fred
artie
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Errors VirtualBox (SOLVED)

Post by artie »

Thank you so much guys. Uninstalling Vbox and reinstalling it from the Sun Vbox website did the trick. Also by not using a USB keyboard and using a PS/2 keyboard I was able to use the function keys and install Vbox seamlessly. Once again Thank You to everyone who responded to this question. It is people like you that make computing fun.

Return to “Beginner Questions”