Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Bogeyman

Re: Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" released!

Post by Bogeyman »

I had been on Mint 6 Main (live install) for about 4 weeks on an aging Gateway desktop (8 yrs old). Dual boot with XP. Liked what I saw, and MS has taken a back seat on this ole bus!!!! Being a closet masochist, Just for kicks, I ran the lazy man's upgrade to Gloria. Had my fingers and toes crossed the whole time. Encountered several errors during the course of the upgrade as well as a message suggesting that I run "liloconfig(8) when you complete this process and execute /sbin/lilo after this." I tried to do that and it would not let me. However, everything seems in place including my previous settings and documents, so consider me a happy camper!! WELL DONE to the folks that have created this software and who continue maintain it!!!!! :D
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Post by eiver »

I did it. I finally installed Mint 7 32-bit. Unfortunately the 64-bit version will have to wait due to issues described below.

My first impression after I saw the screenshots was: "Oh no, not green!". But after I actually installed it - I must say I love it. I usually start my fun with Linux, by trying to customize the look. In LM6 there was nothing for me to customize, it looked simply perfect. I tried to change some things in LM7, but went back to the default settings including the default desktop, because everything is so perfectly arranged. Linux Mint is the first and only Linux distribution, which looks so aesthetic that there is no need to change anything. (of course this is a completely subjective opinion).

LM7 Pros:
- All Mint apps (they are really nice and I love the improvement since LM 6), however there is still much to be done - I would like to see some day mintInstall completely replace Synaptic Package Manager (right now although mintInstall supports apt, its is still not all functionality of Synaptic)
- The menu is a masterpiece. Even a complete newbie can start using the system immediately and without reading any documentation (I can't see how it could get even more user-friendly)
- Out of the box experience (Drives, codecs, Flash, etc.) You did it again

LM7 Cons:
- Security - Packages are still not signed (I know, I know, I read a lot about it on the forum). But I have a feeling, that Linux relies too much on fake security thanks to its unpopularity. This will change dramatically as LM gets more and more popular.

LM7 Cons: inherited from Ubuntu
- Most things I do not like in LM7 come from the latest Ubuntu rather than LM directly
- Despite my cry on the forums, no VPN packages made it to default LM7 installation
- I really need pptp VPN and it does not work in LM7 because of a bug in network-manager-pptp (from Ubuntu) - I will delay installation LM 7 64-bit on my laptop due to that (too bad, that such a small thing can ruin everything).

Other than that LM7 is a great distro and I never met person who would would be unhappy with Mint in comparison to their previous distrubution.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

eiver wrote:- Security - Packages are still not signed (I know, I know, I read a lot about it on the forum). But I have a feeling, that Linux relies too much on fake security thanks to its unpopularity. This will change dramatically as LM gets more and more popular.
Well, the repositories are signed, which basically means any packages you install from them are from a trusted source, which is why it's ok for mint to override the unauthenticated warnings on the actual packages themselves. On the other hand, I have no idea why the packages are labelled as unauthenticated in the first place, hopefully it'll be fixed in the future.
eiver wrote:- Most things I do not like in LM7 come from the latest Ubuntu rather than LM directly
- Despite my cry on the forums, no VPN packages made it to default LM7 installation
- I really need pptp VPN and it does not work in LM7 because of a bug in network-manager-pptp (from Ubuntu) - I will delay installation LM 7 64-bit on my laptop due to that (too bad, that such a small thing can ruin everything).
Yeah, ubuntu's date-based release is often regression-happy which is annoying, but it's not going to change soon. Unfortunately there's only a limited amount of space on the CD (and package size is difficult to judge due to dependencies) and while the team tries to accommodate as many people as possible, sometimes problems that affect only a minority of the user base unfortunately cannot be solved. Hopefully this bug will be fixed in time for Helena.
Grimskallen

Post by Grimskallen »

Congratulations on the great release! :D
Really works well, and i'm excited about the upcoming 64bit version!

I have one complaint though, its about time to refresh the screenshots, they are still showing Linux Mint 5...
The world needs to see the beauty of Linux Mint 7!
Dalamar

Post by Dalamar »

I installed Linux Mint 7 in my newly bought PC (Athlon X2 5200, 2 GB RAM, Emaxx board with nVidia 8200 graphics and 250 GB HD) and it works great! Thank you very much for this release! I eagerly await the KDE CE edition which I hope would be as awesome.
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

Yeah, not bad...must admit i go back to mint after using Ubuntu. I would make the 100% switch only if the network manager could auto detect all variants of usb-wireless modems and configure them automatically. I know its WAY too much to ask as there is 1000's of modems out there, but it would be nice to see.

Other then that, great work :mrgreen:
HP EILITE FOLIO 9470M i7-3667u x 4
GitHub: tolgaerok
Image Image
Committed

Post by Committed »

Hey, great job guys! Been running Ubuntu for some time and thought I'd check out Mint. Really like it so far. Not only that, but I think it's the one Linux flavor I think I can get my wife to use. Installing it on my kids machine as I type. Big thumbs up!
Chloe

Post by Chloe »

I just installed Gloria on my brand new HP Mini 110, and it works like a dream! I'm so impressed! I liked it so much when I tried it on my Live USB that I decided to go ahead and just wipe the Mini's Mobile Internet Experience OS -- it's also based on Ubuntu, but the dumbed-down interface was beginning to get on my nerves.

The install went without a hitch, and so far, everything works perfectly. Gloria even automatically adjusted to the somewhat strange screen resolution of the HP Mini (1024 X 576 instead of the more common 1024 X 600), which I was a little worried about. The desktop is clear, easy to see even on a small screen, and absolutely gorgeous. Great work! You have made a recent Windows refugee (my first ever experience with Linux was with Mint 6) very happy.

Now I'm eagerly awaiting the release of the XFCE edition of Mint 7 so I can update my geriatric E-machine! :D
vajohn1308

Post by vajohn1308 »

I have to totally agree with all those who offered comments on this version. a HEARTY well done to all those who created it!!!
I have been using linux on and off in and have tried more than a few flavors. I have never before had a flavor that is a flat out no brainer to install. Not only that, but everything on my desktop system AND my new MSI GX620-001US notebook ( webcam- video card restricted drivers- wireless all installed and worked out of the box) works flawlessly. I was stunned and very pleased. I am seriously considering dumping window in favor of Mint 7 linux. Only using a few windows programs via WINE on my systems that i need for work.

Thanks again to all who collaborated on this wonderful release.
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

Check out this review from OS News!! Go Linux Mint 7. :)

http://www.osnews.com/story/21808/Linux ... s_Glorious
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

I dropped Gloria on my test partition to try her out, and WOW!

The short development cycle is really what bugs me most about Ubuntu (and by association, Mint) because reloading every six months is one of the reasons I gave up on Windows. At least with Linux the reloading every six months was optional. So for a while now I have been sticking with the LTS version as my main boot OS, and I have a small (12GB) test partition I drop new versions on just to play with.

But damn, Gloria is so hot I may just have to give Elyssa the boot. Seriously, Clem, you have really outdone yourself this time. Congrats to you and all who help you for a truly outstanding release. Mint has always been a cut above the rest, but Gloria is exceptionally fine even by Mint standards. She will be a tough act to follow.

Forgive me if I missed it somewhere, but is there any news on an Xfce community edition release? (I still like GNOME, but I'm growing increasingly fond of Xfce...)

Once again a very big thank you for all that you do for the Linux community. Mint is a shining example of what an OS should be!

Aloha, Tim
Husse

Post by Husse »

Tim - check the Mint Twitter :)
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

On some encouragement from friends, I made the switch to a Linux distro . . . Ubuntu 9.04; about a 6 weeks ago.
It is a good system but I was not entirely happy with it.

After reading more about Linux and LinuxMint-7 . . . I switched again about a week ago. OMG!! LinuxMint rocks!!

I'm sold on Gloria!! :mrgreen:
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Post by eiver »

Linux Mint spreads quickly like a virus :P. I already have Mint running on 3 out of 5 machines at home :D.
Bit Mad

Post by Bit Mad »

I believe support is due to run out next month for my Mint 7.
As I can't use the search box for "mint 7" and don't know where to look.......
... can someone please tell me what my options are? Is upgrading painless, or best avoided - start over?

Thanks
Joylove

Post by Joylove »

Bit Mad wrote:I believe support is due to run out next month for my Mint 7.
... can someone please tell me what my options are? Is upgrading painless, or best avoided - start over?

Thanks
IMO it would be painless reinstalling IF you had /home on a separate partition.

Also making a backup of .config and it's content, then deleting it (alternately renaming .config folder) can be good for selective restore of your old setting without possible incompatibilities.

Theres also pointing your repo to LM9 and upgrading but there may be bigger problems and longer download time.
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

Joylove wrote:
Bit Mad wrote:I believe support is due to run out next month for my Mint 7.

Thanks
IMO it would be painless reinstalling IF you had /home on a separate partition.

Also making a backup of .config and it's content, then deleting it (alternately renaming .config folder) can be good for selective restore of your old setting without possible incompatibilities.

Theres also pointing your repo to LM9 and upgrading but there may be bigger problems and longer download time.
How to move home to the separate partition ==> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 03#p319228
Bit Mad

Post by Bit Mad »

Thanks. Partitions scare me, I've tried learning about it before but never found a REALLY good guide to it. It looks like it should be fairly straightforward. but there's always a level of complexity that isn't well explained :D
- so I'll avoid that.

I'd rather copy my home folder to the Windows partition and a USB stick for safekeeping, and then try pointing at a new repo, if that's likely to work. Otherwise I'll just flatten it and start over, I suppose. I'm a little disappointed about having to upgrade all the time, so I might look into the Debian based Mint with rolling release.

Cheers
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

Bit Mad wrote:Thanks. Partitions scare me, I've tried learning about it before but never found a REALLY good guide to it. It looks like it should be fairly straightforward. but there's always a level of complexity that isn't well explained :D
- so I'll avoid that.

I'd rather copy my home folder to the Windows partition and a USB stick for safekeeping, and then try pointing at a new repo, if that's likely to work. Otherwise I'll just flatten it and start over, I suppose. I'm a little disappointed about having to upgrade all the time, so I might look into the Debian based Mint with rolling release.

Cheers
You cannot copy your home folder to the windows partitions, because there are no inodes, whose are crucial for linux filesystem..

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/understan ... nodes.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inode

Inodes makes filesystem safer, and that is one reason why malware likes vitamin C:\ .. :lol:

Vitamin C:\ = windows filesystem (ntfs, fat)
Bit Mad

Post by Bit Mad »

I meant just copy the files/folder structure in a zip or something :D
Thanks anyway

Return to “Releases & Announcements”