Strange text entry problem

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rldev

Strange text entry problem

Post by rldev »

I am having the strangest problem. I'm not sure I can clearly convey the problem.

Computer: Sony Vaio sz340
Linux Mint 7

When I enter text in a search field or form box, the text placement gets screwed up depending on where the mouse pointer is. I have to be careful where I place the mouse pointer. If the pointer is say above the sentence I am typing, the text is liable to get mixed up and words are added to the wrong line..

This happens in Firefox and Opera. It really makes it impossible to do work .
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Strange text entry problem

Post by DrHu »

Possible web page scaling/resizing
  • Do you up-size the text to make it easier to read ctrl + (key combination)
  • Do you have let the web page choose fonts, otherwise it would reflect the web designersa choices, that is the default selection under Edit>preferences>contents>advanced
    --also check the character encoding, same section..
  • Edit>preferences>Advanced>general> Accessibility or Browsing selections, check what you have enabled there..
Since you say it is in more than one browser, check the system
  • Mint menu>control center>Services> see if you have assistive technologies such as braille enabled
    --you might be jumping into some system selection meant to assist a specific user type
  • Mint menu>control center>Personal>Assistive technologies keyboard selections/layouts and so on, mouse behaviours..
    Do you have additional languages installed other than English, if so is the scim input method active..
rldev

Post by rldev »

DrHu wrote:Possible web page scaling/resizing
  • Do you up-size the text to make it easier to read ctrl + (key combination)
  • Do you have let the web page choose fonts, otherwise it would reflect the web designersa choices, that is the default selection under Edit>preferences>contents>advanced
    --also check the character encoding, same section..
  • Edit>preferences>Advanced>general> Accessibility or Browsing selections, check what you have enabled there..
Since you say it is in more than one browser, check the system
  • Mint menu>control center>Services> see if you have assistive technologies such as braille enabled
    --you might be jumping into some system selection meant to assist a specific user type
  • Mint menu>control center>Personal>Assistive technologies keyboard selections/layouts and so on, mouse behaviours..
    Do you have additional languages installed other than English, if so is the scim input method active..
"Assistive technologies" has no additional langs and nothing checked. . Brail Britty is not selected.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

I think your hitting the touchpad while you type.
rldev

Post by rldev »

I thought the same too. But I don't think so. I'm going to disable the pad and use a mouse to test this.

SOLVED.

You were indeed correct. The Touchpad is so sensitive that even the the slightest graze triggered the pointer, which caused random text placement. I shut off touchpad clicks in the Mouse Control Center. Unfortunately the Mouse Control does not give you the option to adjust the sensitivity of the taps on the pad which is really surprising considering this type of fine tuning has been available for many years.

Maybe there is a alternative driver for Alps touchpads?

Anyway it sure beats not being able to type properly. Thanks for your help.

Return to “Software & Applications”