CAN'T SEEM TO BURN BIANCA 2.2KDE WITH K3B

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GerryAttrick
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GerryAttrick »

I am fairly new to Linux and currently run OpenSuse 10.2. I have burned CDs/DVDs OK in the past but not often.

Have now downloaded the DVD ISO for Bianca 2.2KDE but can't seem to get it to burn using K3B. I have the ISO selected but the Start button is greyed out. It keeps wanting to burn an ISO CD when K3B opens and Start button in that instance is usable. However if I elect to try to burn the ISO to a CD it tells me there is insufficient space - naturally!!

Can anyone help me get the DVD burned as I'd really like to try MINT.

Also - my other PCs only have CD drives. If I download and burn the Mini KDE version is it hard to subsequently upgarde to the full version? If its OK then maybe I'll just buy the CD version locally and use that to save the hassle.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

Can anyone help me get the DVD burned as I'd really like to try MINT.
This glitch is unresolved (see LinuxMint-2.2-KDE ISO Burning Problem).

------
Husse

Post by Husse »

Welcome to Mint GerryAttrick
No it's not hard to download the rest - it's in the repositories so you get it with apt-get (adept)
I've seen this behavior mentioned in some other post(s) (at least the one in the link above). I have no experience with K3B. Luckily not all burning programs are affected.
Could you install another program?
I use Brasero without problems, but I don't know if you have it in Opensuse
PS It's not considered polite to use capital letters
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

Are you on drugs Husse?

What capital letters? He may be new to Linux but his English and punctuation are outstanding.
Others in this forum could learn from his post.
(assuming he is a he)

:P
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi
Just burnt KDE 2.2 on DVD on Mint, with K3b (and burn all
ISO on DVD's, seems more reliable)
I just go to K3b/Tools/Create DVD ISO/
then "select ISO"
Works under Suse, Etch and Mint on my box

If you have a CDrewriter and a DVD rewriter installed under "burning device Tab"
select your DVD, also make sure you have growisofs.

Nick
GerryAttrick
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GerryAttrick »

Hi Husse,

Thanks for that - I'll probably go with the Mini version for now. It will make it easier for me to load onto my other PCs if I like it. I understand capitals is the written version of shouting but in my earlier post I assumed that using them in place of nouns such as CD & DVD are OK though.

Nick,

Have never had any problems burning DVDs with K3B in the past, although have not burned a lot hence my question. From reading the above post it appears there *may* be a problem in burning this ISO? I only have a DVD writer but I'll take the easy route and buy a CD - it won't break the bank and I'd like to try this distro as I have heard some good things..even though its Ubuntu based :roll: I tried Ubuntu once before but just could not get happy with Gnome..I prefer KDE personally.
Husse

Post by Husse »

@Boo
What capital letters? He may be new to Linux but his English and punctuation are outstanding.
Others in this forum could learn from his post.
(assuming he is a he)
Agreed, but the subject has capital letters which is shouting :) In all the forums I've joined (and over the years that has been quite e few) writing LIKE THIS has been considered unpolite.
@GerryAttrick
CD & DVD is of course ok, but not the whole subject :)
It's no big deal, but no one will be helped faster (or for that matter left over)
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

oops :oops:

who reads titles anyway?

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Husse

Post by Husse »

who reads titles anyway?
I do :)