Printing to Laserwriter through bridge and router (help!)

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cayenne6

Printing to Laserwriter through bridge and router (help!)

Post by Cayenne6 »

Hello everyone,

I've been running OS X for the past few years on a small home network and only yesterday added a laptop running Linux Mint 7 in the works. This is my first foray with Linux since using it many years ago with Yellow Dog Linux. Sadly, I've hit a bit of a snag in what has been, so far, a beautiful experience.

I have a router, a SMC Barricade, and attached to it is an old Mac G4, an Airport Base station, an Asante ethernet/localtalk bridge, and the Linux laptop. The Asante bridge connects the world of ethernet to the localtalk world of my trusty, even venerable, Apple Personal Laserwriter 320.

So, any Mac on the network has been able to access the Laserwriter 320, once Gutenprint was installed on them, that is. Even ones connecting by the Airport wifi method. There have been no problems.

I thought it would be a trivial matter for the Linux laptop to see it as well, as I thought similar technologies are at play. Apparently not.

The printer does not show up when searched for in the Printer configuration panel in Control Center. As this printer is not hooked directly to the laptop, but through a router, I reasoned it would be a network printer, and followed that option when it came to "select device".

Of the five network printer choices I don't think any of them really fit.

I do have the DHCP address of the bridge that the printer is attached to. Would I use that as the Host address? Doesn't work for IPP, HP Printer, AppSocket, or SMB, though. LPD/LPR at least lets me move forward with that information, all the way to printing a test page. But no page ever prints and I do get a popup error saying the printer may not be connected.

Any advice?

Would installing Gutenprint help?

I do have a ppd for the printer. Would I need to install Gutenprint in order for the laptop to see the printer, you think?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Printing to Laserwriter through bridge and router (help!)

Post by DrHu »

http://www.kremalicious.com/2008/06/ubu ... ne-volume/
I think the issue has to do with appletalk being the protocol for that printer
--if it had a tcp/ip address it would be simple, just use the IP address

You could try the Netatalk protocol, which is in synaptic
Netatalk is an implementation of the AppleTalk Protocol Suite for
BSD-derived systems. The current release contains support for
EtherTalk Phase I and II, DDP, RTMP, NBP, ZIP, AEP, ATP, PAP, ASP, and
AFP.
This package contains all daemon and utility programs as well as Netatalk's
static libraries.
And this, could also help
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Linux_Netw ... APPLETALK)
http://forum.soft32.com/mac/Laserwriter ... 16472.html
--the asante appletalk<-->ethernet interface
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Cayenne6

Post by Cayenne6 »

Excellent!

Thank you for the links, guys, it has indeed worked! Netatalk was what was needed, as well as pap and that link altair4 provided to the ubuntu help forum wrapped everything up.

I'm looking at the print test page now. I think it's kinda neat I can still use a localtalk laser printer from 1993 using the old appletalk protocol to print with modern day Linux.

Thank you very much!

Return to “Hardware Support”