Smartest reasons to keep a Windows partition

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
willxtreme

Re: Smartest reasons to keep a Windows partition

Post by willxtreme »

for 3D modeling with Solid Edge (need that for school lol)
willxtreme

Post by willxtreme »

dlkreations wrote:Flash 8 and Dreamweaver 8/CS3 work very nice with Wine
You're so right thank you from the bottom of my heart :D !!!! Last time I used Wine was months ago and it was meh. I was curious to see how Flash 8 AND Dreamweaver would work without problems thanks to it so I gave it another try. I had a big surprise in MintInstall when I found Wine-Doors!!! The screenshot in mintInstall drew my attention (thanks Mint team for those screenshots they really help!). I opened Wine-Doors and saw this nice list of applications (like 7zip, Flash 8, Dreamweaver 8), Photoshop CS2 9, HL-2 FPS and more!). I installed Dreamweaver and indeed, it works flawlessly \(^o^)/. I'm giving the final smack to Windows FINALLY (I still need Solid Edge for 3D modeling but I'll use it at school). Thank you dlkreations & thank you Mint Team!
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

FedoraRefugee wrote:You were never in a distance learning program taking classes over the internet. Everything is submitted electronically, even utilizing youtube for presentations!
No, I haven't. I've never taken classes over the internet, only on-campus.

If you're doing a class across the internet, they ought to accept files through Google Docs. Come to think of it, why don't you skip Windows and pipe your files through Google? Or limit yourself to RTF formatting?
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

willxtreme wrote: You're so right thank you from the bottom of my heart :D !!!! Last time I used Wine was months ago and it was meh. I was curious to see how Flash 8 AND Dreamweaver would work without problems thanks to it so I gave it another try. I had a big surprise in MintInstall when I found Wine-Doors!!! The screenshot in mintInstall drew my attention (thanks Mint team for those screenshots they really help!). I opened Wine-Doors and saw this nice list of applications (like 7zip, Flash 8, Dreamweaver 8), Photoshop CS2 9, HL-2 FPS and more!). I installed Dreamweaver and indeed, it works flawlessly \(^o^)/. I'm giving the final smack to Windows FINALLY (I still need Solid Edge for 3D modeling but I'll use it at school). Thank you dlkreations & thank you Mint Team!
You're very welcome. Glad I could point you in the right direction.
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

I've been using Linux steady almost 3 months now, got rid of my last Windows partition last week. I do however, still run XP in VB because I still can't figure out how to get my GPS software to run in LInux, plus I like Internet Backgammon.
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

keithp wrote:I need to be able to have regular webcam and microphone chats with others, using the MSN protocol. Telling them to change to Skype is a non-starter.

As soon as aMSN gets their audio side going, so that I can talk rather than typing, it's goodbye XP.

Keith
The latest SVN of aMSN has this feature, and it is pretty stable.
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

1) Games. I'm not a huge gamer, but I do play some, and it's just not worth the bother to try to get them running properly in Wine.
2) Backing up DVDs. You just can't beat the AnyDVD/DVD Shrink combo. I've used different Linux programs with success, but it's just not the same. And yes you can run DVD Shrink in Wine perfectly, but without AnyDVD it isn't going to work on more modern DVD disks.
mitsuzero

Post by mitsuzero »

hmmmmm im thinking over a 40 or 70 % of the people get lost the idea of windows.... im not greater player(i only play UrT) i didnt use windows in this machine anymore .....
some smartest reason to not keep a windowze partition:
1. u dont get virus.
2. its useless have it.(to me).
3. each one app who i use is in linux.
4. i get ride of the bsa (i didnt have pirate soft) -this is because i have a internet cafe.
5. the people working on it is happy, and dont complain about linux.

some guys can learn the good way to take the linux the the other people. :D :lol:
factotum218

Post by factotum218 »

InDesign....freaking InDesign! I hate my job! LOL
ZekeMenuar

Post by ZekeMenuar »

I started checking various Linux distros a year ago before Windows 7 was even on my radar. I was one of the people that wasn't very happy with Vista.
Using Vista was like using a garbage truck to race at Watkins Glen. Big, ugly ponderous and slow.

Then Windows 7 came out. I really like Windows 7. Fast, stable, uses less overhead and has been 100% trouble free. I use Gloria 64bit for most of my daily light to medium weight computer tasks. I use Windows 7 every day for TVU Player, TVAnts and resource intensive streaming media.

Any heavy duty heavy lifting goes to Windows. Windows 7 handles video much better than any Linux distro I've tried. When I have two monitors, virtual box and trying to surf at the same time, Windows 7 just hums along with no issues. Gloria just doesn't have the power to run several resource intensive tasks at the same time.

I run Mint 64bit and Windows 7 on a dual-boot laptop. I hope to be running Mint exclusively by the time W7RC expires next year.

I use Windows 7 about a third of the time and Mint 64bit the rest of the time.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Don't have any, if I really need windows, I can install it into virtualbox where it will both install and run quicker than a normal windows hard disk partition..
pad-thai

Post by pad-thai »

One reason i haven't seen mentioned is to flash the BIOS. Some BIOses only come in Windows exes. Unless you want to find a live Windows CD, or can use OpenBIOS or some arrangement with freeDOS.
phil
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phil »

I have to use Windows for proprietary software that is not available in Linux. My usage is about 50/50.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

pad-thai wrote:One reason i haven't seen mentioned is to flash the BIOS. Some BIOses only come in Windows exes. Unless you want to find a live Windows CD, or can use OpenBIOS or some arrangement with freeDOS.
...some arrangement with freeDOS..
Freedos is a free (DOS) boot disk..
http://www.fdos.org/obten.html.en
http://www.fdos.org/bootdisks/
The safest way to flash a BIOS is via a boot disk, and that can be any dos boot, I don't think there is any BIOS that needs a 32bit OS to flash

The method of using an on-line update via the Internet to flash your computer's BIOS is while it may mostly work, a mistake for the user
--better to use a boot disk, and perform a controlled (by the user) update
pad-thai

Post by pad-thai »

If your mfgr distributes the BIOS as a separate pkg. Mine doesn't. Although I haven't tried running the Windows exe under a DOS boot. I would, but then, they'll charge me an arm to fix it if something goes wrong.
dequire

Post by dequire »

pad-thai wrote:
If your mfgr distributes the BIOS as a separate pkg. Mine doesn't. Although I haven't tried running the Windows exe under a DOS boot. I would, but then, they'll charge me an arm to fix it if something goes wrong.
I use this method, and it could not be easier using FreeDOS. It only costs a blank CD.

http://www.linuxinsight.com/how-to-flas ... drive.html

Used many times, as recently as a week ago.
deleted

Post by deleted »

Smallville episodes on www.cwtv.com
-H
pad-thai

Post by pad-thai »

Thanks for the response, dequire.

Unfortunately, my bios is bundled inside the windows exe. I have asked if they supply the BIOS standalone, and their response is "we do not support Linux". I didn't read your article in full, but it looks like this will only work if you can get the BIOS standalone.

For this and many other reasons, I would suggest not buying HPs.

Return to “Chat about Linux”