Guided installation for dual boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ewg

Guided installation for dual boot

Post by ewg »

I want to dual boot Vista and Mint 7, But I don't get the option to resize under guided. It just goes to the next step without offering me a resize option. It does ask if I want to boot side by side with Vista. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ewg

Re: Guided installation for dual boot

Post by ewg »

solved
DrHu

Re: Guided installation for dual boot

Post by DrHu »

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=13252
--you probably picked use the entire disk, this will wipe out windows and take over the whole drive/partition for Linux
  • Use guided with free space
    --assumes you have some unallocated free space in some partition to install the other OS, that is Linux with windows
  • Use manual mode
    -- to decide on partitions and sizes and mount points, you sorta have to know what you are doing with that method
The safe method
  • Boot Vista
  • Defragment the C: drive
    --if that is the only drive you have, because we need to create some free space
  • In Vista resize the C: drive to allocate some free space for the use of Linux
  • Boot the Linux mint CD
  • Follow the guided partition, and use the largest free space option
    --this will allow you to install Linux mint into the free space on the C: drive that you have already created (in Vista)

Return to “Installation & Boot”