Installing Linux Mint on Eee 900

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
barrieluv
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Installing Linux Mint on Eee 900

Post by barrieluv »

I'm loving it on my 900. You can read about my experience here: http://blog.sanriotown.com/barrieluv:he ... eeepc-900/

I was using Eeebuntu and was very happy with it, but I'm finding Mint even better. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
EeePC 701 Ubuntu 10.04 || HP Pavilion DV6 Linux Mint 17 Mate Edition
Jjude

Post by Jjude »

I too love Mint 7 on my eee pc 900. works like a charm. barrieluv's how to's helped with my inexperience.
barrieluv
Level 2
Level 2

Post by barrieluv »

You're welcome, Kvark. If you run into any problems, leave a comment on the guide and l'll do what I can to help. :)
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Post by subslug »

When you guys running the 900 model and Mint 7 go into suspend mode, does your wireless come back up okay? This could also apply to anything Jaunty as well.

I found a fix for the Asus 1000 models to fix the wireless not playing well after resuming and was just wondering if the 900 models had any issues resuming...?

Mint 7 runs flawlessly on the 1000HE model.
barrieluv
Level 2
Level 2

Post by barrieluv »

I don't have suspend because I have no need of it.

If I wanted suspend I would get Adam's Kernel and Fewt's scripts. And then I would get royally brassed off because the scripts don't work properly and my CPU wouldn't run at the correct speed. And then I would have to jump through hoops to correct it all. Unsuccessfully. Even after receiving emails from the developer saying "do this and do that and it wil work".
That's why I dropped Eeebuntu 3.0. I got fed up with being told it worked out of the box. Flawlessly.
I got fed up waiting for the scripts to be sorted and so I came to Mint.
And I'm happier with it. It doesn't claim to be perfect for the Eee series and therefore I came to it with no expectations.
I have wireless, webcam and sound working out of the box. And that's all I really need.

This is not meant as a slur on the Eeebuntu team. They're a great team doing some sterling work. I loved Eeebuntu 2.0. If they had released version 3.0 with the option of the scripts rather than them being foisted upon me, I reckon I would've been a lot happier.

just for the record, are you saying that Mint 7 works flawlessly out of the box with the 1000HE? This would be a handy hing to know so I can point other users in a Mintier direction. :)
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Post by subslug »

barrieluv wrote:
just for the record, are you saying that Mint 7 works flawlessly out of the box with the 1000HE? This would be a handy hing to know so I can point other users in a Mintier direction. :)
Aside from the wireless fix I mentioned, yes. It's slick right out of the box.

I installed from an external usb dvd drive instead of the usb thumb drive method. Shouldn't matter though.
barrieluv
Level 2
Level 2

Post by barrieluv »

Any chance of pointing me to the wireless workaround?
barrieluv
Level 2
Level 2

Post by barrieluv »

Not to worry, I think I found it.
Wireless breaks after suspend on Eee PC 1000HE: Solution
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Post by subslug »

barrieluv wrote:Not to worry, I think I found it.
Wireless breaks after suspend on Eee PC 1000HE: Solution
Yes, that is it.
BobK54

Post by BobK54 »

Hello! I'm new here but familiar with other distros on my Eee 900. I tried to install Mint 7 entirely on an 8 gig SDHC card but failed. The iso is good, MD5 checks out. I used unetbootin to create a USB stick with Mint on it like I have done with other distros. Mint 7 runs fine in a live session off the stick. When I am doing the install I choose sdc 8gig "disk" to install to in the partitioner. After I finish the install, booting off the SD card goes to grub properly and then gives me an "error 21". In contrast, two other distros I tried worked flawlessly using the same method as above. I really want to use Mint on the SD of my 900. Any ideas? THANKS!!
barrieluv
Level 2
Level 2

Post by barrieluv »

A quick check.
Did you partition and format the SDHC properly and install GRUB to the SDHC?
Have you used that particular card for running other distros before?
BobK54

Post by BobK54 »

Thanks for the quick reply. The SDHC card was partitioned and formatted by the Mint install process. Grub was installed to the SDHC.

Before I tried the third time to install Mint, I put the card in my PCLinuxOS box and formatted the whole card in ext3 to wipe it clean. As I said before, after multiple failures with Mint I tried another distro with the same method. That distro also partitioned and formatted the card, installed, and worked great. Mint runs fine in a live session from the USB stick.

I'm baffled. I really want MInt to work on my 900.
barrieluv
Level 2
Level 2

Post by barrieluv »

Um, it may be a case of GRUB on the SDHC looking in the wrong place for the OS.
You would have to hit ESC at GRUB and then edit the places it looks in. I've never done it, so you might want to Google it or run a search on the Ubuntu forum.

I'll let you know if I find anything.
BobK54

Post by BobK54 »

I'll mark this "solved" but it really isn't. I gave up trying to fully install to the SDHC. I did like you and installed to the 4G main drive with my SD as home. It works flawlessly. I blew away the eeebuntu install. It was OK but I like Mint a bit better and I really don't need the eeepc specific Fn keys. It's funny though, other distros installed to the SDHC with no problems.

I'm up and running a nice minty desktop.
barrieluv
Level 2
Level 2

Post by barrieluv »

Well, I'm glad you're happy with your SSD install, but that install to SDHC is going to bug me. I'll pick up a new spare card today (this is just a poor excuse to spend money) and attempt an install tomorrow. I'll post up my results when I'm done.

Return to “Beginner Questions”