Linux Mint request

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ale

Linux Mint request

Post by Ale »

Due to i can't find Linux Mint complete roadmap i ask when is released Linux Mint 8 64 bit with Openoffice 3.1, Firefox 3.5, Thunderbird 3.0.
I ask you to build the 64 bit before the 32 bit; Ubuntu 9.10 is released at end of october 2009, i hope i can download Linux Mint 8 64 bit at november 2009!
Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lagagnon

Re: Linux Mint request

Post by lagagnon »

I am not a Mint developer but I suspect that as Mint is a volunteer effort by a limited number of developers that Mint 8 will be ready when it's ready.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

The 32 bit version of Mint is always built first. Not everyone has a 64 bit processor and the 64 bit edition is usually released a very short time after the 32 bit. With the global economy the way it currently is many people are putting older computers to use to avoid the expense of purchasing a new machine.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

lagagnon wrote:I suspect that as Mint is a volunteer effort by a limited number of developers that Mint 8 will be ready when it's ready.
I just wanted to say that it isn't just because it's a volunteer effort. It's a quality control choice to release when it's ready, as there are many who were upset with ubuntu's regressions due to a strict time-based release, you wouldn't see a product release from apple that wouldn't work properly on thousands of computers it had worked on before. I much prefer mint's principal of shipping when all the mint bugs have been solved (leaving us just with ubuntu's nasty regressions)

I too reckon 32bit shouldn't wait until after 64bit. The issue's a tricky one, and I just hope that it won't take as long in the future, though it's already down to only a month after 32bit release.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

The delay between releasing the 32 bit and 64 bit versions is shrinking. Mint 6 64 bit was not released until January of 2009 following release of the 32 bit version in early November of 2008. A delay of almost three months. Mint 7 64bit was released less than six weeks after the 32 bit release. Hopefully this trend will continue and eventually we may see a simultaneous release.

But the important thing is that Clem and the team keep the focus on releasing the best OS they can put together regardless of the time frame. I would rather wait for a top line product than get a lower quality system sooner
Alpha-Geek
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Alpha-Geek »

Aging Technogeek wrote: I would rather wait for a top line product than get a lower quality system sooner
Amen to that, brother.

Return to “Beginner Questions”