root

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
whare1
Level 2
Level 2

root

Post by whare1 »

Hi all

Right I have been playing with crossover now I am trying to uninstall it so I can get ht e feel for the system but when I tell it to uninstall it say to completely remove it todo the following

to fully uninstall run '/otp/cxoffice/bin/cxuninstall' as root

as root?

now im confused

can anybody point me in the right diection

Thanx

Will
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

root is the god account on unix/linux systems but it is very dangerous since you can easily destroy your system if you are not careful.

mint uses the sudo command to run a command/program as root.
the first account you created is in the sudoers list and can run sudo commands.

so your uninstall command should be.

sudo /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxuninstall

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
whare1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by whare1 »

Thanx Boo

i will remember that and give it a try when i boot up the linux later :)

Thanx
Will
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

When you use sudo and enter a valid password, Bianca gives you about 15 minutes to use sudo again without being asked for your password.

Keep this in mind whenever your Evil Nemesis is lurking around. If less than 15 minutes has passed since you entered your password for sudo, and you get up and leave your system unguarded, your Evil Nemesis could use sudo on your PC without being prompted for a password.

If your PC is located in a public area, lock your screen before fetching a coffee.

------

Return to “Beginner Questions”