How to install Guest Additions in Mint 7 as guest in VBOX

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fsmith9009

How to install Guest Additions in Mint 7 as guest in VBOX

Post by fsmith9009 »

I am running Vista Home Premium 64 bit as host OS.
I installed Win 7 RC, 32 bit as a guest OS in VirtualBox 2.24.
I followed the instructions I found on the web and
was able to install the guest additions allowing for full screen usage of the Guest OS.
I allocated 1 GB of ram, 128 of ram for video etc to the VM.
Win 7 runs well as Guest OS.

Installed Mint Gloria as a second virtual machine with the same settings.
OS installed fine and runs well, updated and all is OK, until I try to
install the guest additions. Can't get them installed on Mint running as the guest OS.
Tried Ubuntu 9.04 as a VM earlier with no luck either getting Guest Additions installed. Installed Ubuntu in Wubi on Host OS, works great but
would like to run Mint with additions installed in Virtual Box so I can just bounce back and forth
with host OS but can't get guest additions installed in Mint 7 virtual machine. Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: How to install Guest Additions in Mint 7 as guest in VBOX

Post by proxima_centauri »

Once you click Install Guest Additions, a disc icon should mount on the desktop containing the run files.
Open up that in terminal (right-click it, open in terminal), and sudo sh VBoxLinuxAdditions-x86.run
tomast

Post by tomast »

When I have done it I just open the Guest Additions.iso and right click anywhere
on the open window (not on the file) and do "open as root"
Then just double click on the file to run.....
Then it just works.... :-)

T
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

fsmith9009 wrote:Can't get them installed on Mint running as the guest OS.
Tried Ubuntu 9.04 as a VM earlier with no luck either getting Guest Additions installed.
Virtualbox...
http://liquidweather.net/howto/index.php?id=103
One issue I've had with the guest additions is installing them in linux guests. For some reason, the linux guest mounts the .iso image as a blank cd. I haven't found a solution to this problem, however, I have found a workaround. I burnt the guest additions .iso file to cd, then mounted it on the host, and ssh'd to the host from the guest to get the linux install script off the cd. Once I could access the linux guest additions script from the guest, the install was straightforward (just run the script as root), and everything worked as expected.
shakti

Re: How to install Guest Additions in Mint 7 as guest in VBO

Post by shakti »

:D :D :D reply of tomast works just fantastic

Tested with Win7 64 Bit as host and linux mint as the guest

Return to “Beginner Questions”