<Solved I think> Out Of Range/Frequency

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bouncer

<Solved I think> Out Of Range/Frequency

Post by Bouncer »

Was using mint, went to bed got up turned it on, and the monitor is displaying Out Of Range/Frequency, Suggestions?

Sorry for keeping this so short, tried to post this twice and it hasnt worked, its becoming annoying.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lagagnon

Re: Out Of Range/Frequency

Post by lagagnon »

That is not a lot of information to go on. Please help us help you:
1) did you check the video connector at back of computer, back of monitor
2) did you try rebooting the machine as well as the monitor
3) do you see the initial BIOS messages of the computer and/or the initial grub boot screen of Mint
4) is the monitor standby light flashing or fully green

And what do you mean "tried to post this twice and it hasnt worked"???
Bouncer

Post by Bouncer »

I was having problems with my interenet and it just would not post this topic thats all,

Anyway, booted windows 7 it works fine (Knew there was a reason to keep it)
The grub loader boots up and as soon as it goes to boot Mint 7 the screen says that its our of range, that just moves around the screen, Audio still kicks in when it starts up.
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

It is very strange that the system was working fine one day and then not the next. Did you do anything at all to change the system?

At any rate, at the boot screen choose the "Mint recovery mod option" then when you get to a terminal type "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" and see if that gets your video setup back to normal.
Bouncer

Post by Bouncer »

It is very strange and annoying, Ill give that a try, when it got the the boot loader I typed in vga=ask and I tried them all, I got the splash screen and then the screens give the out of range message I hear the audio, and if I press teh power button and enter, it starts shutting down, and I can see the loading bar again, and then its off,

Ill go give your suggestion a try now

In the deafult boot loader its the second one down? I tried that and it eventually took me to a blue screen at which point I was lost, as didn't seem to be able to enter that text anywhere
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Bouncer wrote: Was using mint, went to bed got up turned it on, and the monitor is displaying Out Of Range/Frequency, Suggestions?
Is this the case ?
Built in video card , being setup by windows and using shared system memory (RAM) causing an out of range for Linux, which assumes it has all the system memory to use for the OS

In the terminal
  • dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
    --setup video for the xserver
  • Ctrl alt backspace key combo to select different video resolutions
    --kills/restarts x server
  • ctrl + key combination, similar process to above
    --tries next screen resolution set in xserver
Bouncer

Post by Bouncer »

Erm, I think so, And I dont know how to get to the terminal to add that since I cant see whats going on in a regular boot....

Some one added a Yuan TUN-900 (saa7135) TV card to it when I was asleep, I've removed that now but im still not getting anywhere I still can't find the terminal in recovery....
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Bouncer wrote:Some one added a Yuan TUN-900 (saa7135) TV card to it when I was asleep
Err humm buzz??? xyzzy
http://edutechwiki.unige.ch/en/Ubuntu_i ... _the_brave
... So your GUI is stuck ....
To open a console terminal (no GUI):
CTRL-ALT F1
... same for F2 to F6 (so you can have 6 different terminals)

To go back to the desktop:
CTRL-ALT F7

To see boot system messages
CTRL-ALT F8

To restart the X server (your GUI)
CTRL-ALT BACKSPACE
Bouncer

Post by Bouncer »

Found my problem, it was the VGA Cable, How can this even make a difference? Anyhoo with one VGA cable I have a higer refresh rate and mint knows the name of the screen, with the other it just says unknow and give a 60Hz refresh rate instead of 60, 70 and 75 also just noticed there is a slight ghosting issue too, Not impressed.

Return to “Beginner Questions”