Mint 7 x64 Anorexic Menu

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tayker

Mint 7 x64 Anorexic Menu

Post by tayker »

When I open the Mint Menu and double-click the title on the right, in my case it was "Applications," the menu thinned to look like an WinXP Start Menu. When I double-click the title again, in my case it was "Places," then it becomes a thin line along the left-side of my monitor. I right-click the desktop to open terminal and reboot to get the WinXP version back.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Mint 7 x64 Anorexic Menu

Post by richyrich »

Are you talking about the little 'Sticky' boxes in the top, left corner of the Menu?
tayker

Post by tayker »

I click the angle and scissors button and it goes back to normal. When I double-click the actual title of the menu, like "Places" for example, then it becomes a thin white line with 2 rows of dots.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Yea, When I double-click one of the titles, it has been minimised to the top, left corner of the Main Menu (the little sticky boxes). When I click the little box, the Menu is restored. (the boxes don't show up until one has been minimised)
I can log out of my kde, go into Gloria & get a screenshot if you want. Just let me know.

regards, Richard
tayker

Post by tayker »

I'm in x64 Gnome and I don't get the sticky. I'll see if I can get a screenshot too.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

okay, just remember to save it as a jpg, to add as an attachment.
back in a few. :)
tayker

Post by tayker »

Here's the screenshot.
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

you can also just right click on the "Menu" button and select "Reload Plugins" this will reset the menu back to before you mucked it up :lol:
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Yea, mine's different . . . maybe try changing the theme you are using? :?:
First with places & system minimized.
shot-2.jpg
Second with All minimized. And with my Menu preferences open.
shot-3.jpg
Richard
pluraldave

Post by pluraldave »

Right click the menu button, preferences>options >show sidepane

Add back the boxes you want

Repeat step 1 to get rid of the sidepane again.

Edit: Look at the screenshot in the picture above. If you click the "empty" button at the top of the sidepane it removes the sidepane. If you've put all the menu parts into the sidepane the menu collapses into the line you have.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Thanks pluraldave,
Tayker, looks like I missed the one, important step . . . :oops:

regards, Richard
tayker

Post by tayker »

Awesome. Thanks.
pluraldave

Post by pluraldave »

I think this shows a limitation of the mintmenu. It would be good if you clicking that thin line brought back the sidepane like the panel toggle in Opera (it's disabled by default if you want to try it to see what I'm talking about. Tools>Appearance>Panels>Show panel toggle at edge of window).
nebcanuck

Post by nebcanuck »

Odd... my "show sidepane" is unticked, but as soon as I minimize something to the sidepane it appears. That particular setting only effects it if I have nothing minimized to the sidepane...

Return to “Beginner Questions”