Upstream infestation & the downstream effect on KMint?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rec9140

Upstream infestation & the downstream effect on KMint?

Post by rec9140 »

With the potential for a huge infestation from the upstream source, Ubunutu, what is the position of the KMint team on mono

ref: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubunt ... 00584.html

ref: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,22562817

While I don't support software patents, IP, trademark or copyright, the issues with this garbage go beyond what may be or may not be valid in some areas, countries, unions, islands, territories etc..

Plain and simple, this is a disease from redmond, and serves only one purpose, to infest Linux for potential legal issues.

mono should NOT be brought into KMint or be available in any repo.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Upstream infestation & the downstream effect on KMint?

Post by DrHu »

The Ubuntu Technical Board has received no claims of infringement
against the Mono stack....

It is common practice in the software industry to register patents as
protection against litigation, rather than as an intent to litigate...

(... we cannot commit to the assessment and review of claims made by
anyone other than the registered rights holder.)

Given the above, the Ubuntu Technical Board sees no reason to exclude
Mono or applications based upon it from the archive...

Since the Mono stack is already a dependency of the default installation
set for many remixes of Ubuntu, including the Desktop Edition, there is
no reason to consider a dependency on Mono as an issue when suggesting
applications for the default set.
Legalese description to rationalize why no specific action(s) would be taken, aka the status quo..

what they are saying in response..
  • The Ubuntu Technical Board has received no claims of infringement
  • It is common practice in the software industry to register patents
  • we cannot commit to the assessment and review of claims made by
    anyone other than the registered rights holder
    --well they could comment, but choose not to
  • Ubuntu Technical Board sees no reason to exclude
    Mono or applications based upon it from the archive
I think apart from we cannot comment point, the most egregious reason not to do anything is the last point Since the Mono stack is already a dependency of the default installation set for many remixes of Ubuntu, including the Desktop Edition...

These are the typical reasons given by BBS (Better Business Bureaus) and other self-regulating groups to rationalize/explain their lack of response to consumer complaints..
--I just hope somebody makes an application list of software/remixes/desktop distributions with dependencies on Mono or its libraries, so that if we can we could decide whether or not to expunge it .I also note that the silverlight media player is included in the default install of Linux Mint 7 (in Firefox plugins), and I presume Ubuntu as well, but I did disable the Google plugin (I forget exactly what it was called..)

The problem I envisage is Microsoft's embrace and extend business model, albeit being promoted by a Linux/Debian developer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mono_(software)

I also don't know why anyone needs to develop cross-platform via mono, when there are native cross-platform window/desktop libraries available, like wxwidgets or ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-platform
maybe its just simpler to get in line, rather than keep going with java etc ..

Of course web 2 can be considered cross-platform and no doubt would be sufficient for most users, shades of the Google OS..
rec9140

Re: Upstream infestation & the downstream effect on KMint?

Post by rec9140 »

Yeah.... the whole thing was contrite BS bunch of bunk....

Canonical and Debian both need to be taken to task for allowing this crap to leak in like the cancer it is.

Kick this stuff out now, and don't allow it in... this is a trap waiting to be sprung.....

I really would like to hear from the KMint Devs on this.....

Return to “Software & Applications”