THE MINT HOUSE

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
blogger
Level 4
Level 4

THE MINT HOUSE

Post by blogger »

MINT IS MY CHOICE, HERE IS WHY.

Why did I finally choose Mint after trying a number of Linux distributions? What is it that attracted me to it?

First, I liked the human, buddy approach of the developer. He answered questions himself, making each newcomer to feel that he belongs.
He seems to have an understanding of human nature, which is a great asset. And the success or failure of any project depends greatly on good human relations.
For example, Ubuntu has won the love and admiration of surprising numbers because of the 'humanity to all' philosophy.

But let us talk about Mint.
Having read many reviews and articles by Clement Lefebvre on various Linux distributions, I arrived to the conclusion that his experience would guarantee a successful Linux project. http://www.linuxforums.org/bio/author/Clement+Lefebvre/
And Mr. Lefebvre proved this by creating Linux Mint.
But what made Mint clime up the ladder so fast is the fact that it was the collective work of many members.
The human need to belong and be useful turned out to be an asset here. Everybody was eager to contribute and offer his skills.
This fact and the open-mindedness of the developer to freely accept suggestions proved to be a major reason for the success of Linux Mint. http://news.softpedia.com/news/Intervie ... 2754.shtml

Thus, many innovations were added. And the inventiveness of the developer seemed to be very rich in new ideas that would make this distribution more user-friendly.
The out-of-the box functionality is of great help to new Linux converts. I see that other distributions are imitating this approach to attract newcomers to Linux.

I have installed and am using both Linux Mint 2.2 Bianca Gnome and the KDE version of it.
They are both very attractive, impressive and very functional.
And I am anxiously waiting for the next distribution called Cassandra. I am sure that the developer will give us some more goodies.

In following the various topics and discussions in the Forums, I have noticed an eagerness on the part of most members to welcome and help newcomers. Some new members have actually emphasized the fact that what attracted them to Mint was the friendly approach of many Forum members.

Unfortunately, some have expressed complaints,instead.
I noticed that 'scare tactics' have driven away prospective members. There always are annoying individuals in a forum. Some of them do it intentionally, and others out of plain lack of knowledge. But, by all means, they should not be considered stupid.
One must be able to save even somebody who looks like a lost cause.
But this takes consideration, patience and an understanding of human nature.
Every newcomer is always a useful addition to the community. Who knows? He might turn out to be precious.

In conclusion, It is not what a distribution offers in terms of software; it is the ambiance and the human approach that make it attractive.

Of course you can't win them all.

Greetings, the Blogger
THE MINT HOUSE

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 9 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

:) Thanks for this post blogger. The community is probably one of the most important aspect of a distribution and one of the aspects the developers have the least control of. We've got a great community here and think we've been pretty lucky with that.

Clem
Note: Goodies in Cassandra? Loads, from Gnome, from OO, from Linux and Xorg, from Debian, from Ubuntu and of course from us as well :) I can't wait to release a beta of it to show you how good this is going to be :)
blogger
Level 4
Level 4

Post by blogger »

Thank you Clem, for your answer to my first posting. There could never have been a better welcoming committee.
I can see that the community is growing every day. Though only a few months old, Linux Mint has made very long strides to perfection.

After all, Pandora had something good hidden in her box. OOps! :) Am I off topic BTW? All about this mythology stuff? Shame on me. :lol:
Best regards, the Blogger
Last edited by blogger on Mon May 07, 2007 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
blogger
Level 4
Level 4

Post by blogger »

Welcome to the MintWorld newcomers! :)

Many of you, I am sure, will pose the most logical questions: Why Mint but not Ubuntu? What is different in Mint?
The fact is that Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu. But that is as far as similarity goes.
Mint, I think, was the first attempt at dressing up the Ubuntu desktop, giving Gnome fans a new, more attractive flavor.
'Eye candy' plays a very important role in a new distribution. ( The KDE version of Mint also has some new features ).

So, all the 'goodies' of Ubuntu were used in Mint. But that is not all. There are a great deal more features added; all of them original and very user-friendly:
- The MintMenu ( a different menu style)
- MintDesktop ( Icons automatically added to the desktop )
- MintDisk (mounting Fat and Ntfs partitions in Read/Write mode )
- MintConfig ( A very user-friendly control panel )
- MintWiFi ( Detection and configuration of 40-some wireless cards )
( BTW, I hear that another new, very useful, feature will be the MintInstall, in Cassandra. MintInstall will be a real bonus to the 'Newbie', I suppose).
As can be seen above, Gnome is highly configurable. Mint and Gnome are made for each other, in my humble opinion.

Now, all of the above attractive features resulted in The Mint; a friendly, appealing new flavor, with its own identity.

Even though personally I have always preferred KDE, after using both desktops, I am 'hooked' on the Gnome style; after the innovations added to
Gnome Mint by the developer.
Note: Other, more knowledgeable people are welcomed to give us more details on the works of the new, added features

Personally, I am very anxiously waiting to see the new distribution called Cassandra. It will be the most mature Linux Mint edition that takes advantage of all the useful innovations that have been tried in the previous Mint releases.

Best regards, the Blogger
Last edited by blogger on Tue May 08, 2007 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Mythology?

Post by Sorensei »

Mythology Stuff is fine, we've already plenty of it! :D

Interesting review, by the way... most approaches aren't that focused on the community - while it's indeed an important part of any distro. :wink: Welcome!
I don't have a solution, but I do admire the problem.
blogger
Level 4
Level 4

Post by blogger »

An important subject for newcomers.

The first question that may be asked by newcomers to Linux Mint is: "How can I have menus, instruction manuals etc, and be able to write text, in my language"

Since a large number of languages are stored in the Ubuntu repositories (a 'public library' of some sort), they are downloaded during the istallation to our hard disk.
The languages to be downloaded are determined by the files which are in the CD-Rom Isolinux folder.
Here, the (English translation file (en.tr) appears in many different languages.
But these files affect only the language to be used as instructions for the installation process.

If your native language is not 'supported' here, you can still have the menus and other text converted to your own language.
Another very important function involves the correction of spelling in your documents.
For this feature to be added to our language, we must download 'ispell' 'aspell' and myspell dictionaries.
This is done easily with 'Synaptic Package Manager'.

Open up Synaptic and , in the 'search' box type the name of your language. You will be shown a list of packages needed, (Dictionaries, Fonts etc.).

For more details follow the tips in the link below.
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... Linux_Mint
or http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... &start=480
Greetings, the Blogger
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

That was a great summary of Mint. :)

Ken

Level 4
Level 4

Post by blogger »

Quote:Mythology Stuff is fine, we've already plenty of it! Very Happy

Interesting review, by the way... most approaches aren't that focused on the community - while it's indeed an important part of any distro. Wink Welcome!
kenetics wrote:That was a great summary of Mint. :)

Ken_________________________________________________
Education is the best provision for old age.
-Aristotle
================================================

To all newcomers to Mint

As you can see, this is what we mean about the spirit of the Mint community.
Most of them are warm and friendly.

Thank you gentlemen for your warm welcome and your comments.

:) Greetings, the Blogger
Last edited by blogger on Tue May 08, 2007 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blogger
Level 4
Level 4

Post by blogger »

WAITING FOR CASSANDRA

114 Kassandra
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
114 Kassandra is a large and dark Main belt asteroid. It belongs to the rare class T. It was discovered by C. H. F. Peters on July 23, 1871, and is named after Cassandra, the prophetess in the tales of the Trojan War"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What a magical name for a Linux distribution!
It has been used by poets, science fiction writers, the Motion Picture industry and now...by a Linux distribution!

Cassandra is a myth. She has never been real. But a myth, though it is only imaginary, will be often recorded in history.
This, I hope, will be the fate of our Cassandra.

The developer could never have chosen a more impressive, attractive mythical figure to represent the next Mint distribution.
A mythical name adds to the ambiance of the Mint, creating intrigue and mystery.
Depending on a person's imagination, an impression of a real-life entity leaves its mark in his mind.

So here is a picture of Cassandra in my imagination.

Greetings, the Blogger
blogger
Level 4
Level 4

Post by blogger »

Hello D1Wayne
Now that's what I call a vivid imagination. :) Your picture of Cassandra is 'out of this world'! :)

Greetings, the Blogger
blogger
Level 4
Level 4

Post by blogger »

Quote:D1Wayne
this Cassandra is/was a character in a few Dr. Who episodes, thought i would have a quick download, orig 49mins eta, curenlty dl eta is 42% done, 11hrs to go

Hello D1Wayne,
Cheer up! There's still hope.
My Cassandra took 6.5 hours to get here. I got up this morning at 4:30 to greet her. :)
But, alas! :cry: She vanished! Can't find her in the PC. When the download ended I got this message :( This file does not exist
I had forgotten to check the 'Save to disk' option.
What was I downloading for 6.5 hours? :o And where the heck did it all go? :cry:

It must be that Dr.Who character playing tricks!
BTW, my new d/load ETA is 18 hours plus 40 min.
Greetings, the Blogger
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

She's playing hard-to-get :)

Clem
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sorensei »

blogger wrote:It must be that Dr.Who character playing tricks!
Well, what else would you expect from a Time Lord? :P

Good luck!
I don't have a solution, but I do admire the problem.
blogger
Level 4
Level 4

Post by blogger »

Well my friend D1Wayne ,
For you it was worth losing some sleep :) But I'm still looking for the magic lady. :( I searched and searched again all over my PC.
What happened to the file I downloaded at 4:30 in the morning? :cry:

THE CASSANDRA SYNDROME

She was here, early in the morning
Alas! She left, without a warning
I hear that she's a work of art
But Oh my aching broken heart

"Cassandra syndrome", the doctor said
"It breaks your heart and it cracks your head"
"Sorry. No cure for it my friend"
"Just hope you'll have an easy end"

Greetings, the Blogger
blogger
Level 4
Level 4

Post by blogger »

CAUTION
Virus in Torrent download???????
While down loading Cassandra by Bit Torrent and doing some work with Gimp, I had a crash.
I was using Bianca Gnome, dual booting with windows 2K Pro, and lost the NTFS and Fat partitions, and consequently the boot loader.

I only have the Linux partition left. But can't boot from this disk. I am now operating from another disk with Win. XP and Bianca KDE.

Watch out for bugs in Torrent downloads!

Blogger :cry:

EDIT> In checking NTFS and Fat partitions with my hard disk in a USB hub,
I can now see all the folders but they are not readable. They seem to be empty.
Any suggestions by any guru?
Last edited by blogger on Thu May 10, 2007 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
blogger
Level 4
Level 4

Post by blogger »

She came to me and made a pass
Indeed, she was a pretty lass
But ran away again somewhere
Cassandra here Cassandra there

She is a fickle sorceress they say
She loves to play but she won't stay
Her winks will bring you the jinks
Alas! that's what I got today methinks
:wink:

the Blogger
Last edited by blogger on Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

I think Cassandra might have seen
The avatar on Blogger's screen
She took one look and with a shout
Tore his computer inside out!
blogger
Level 4
Level 4

Post by blogger »

CASSANDRA HARD TO GET
An Irish beauty she's me friend
She got the means, she got the end
She runs around with all the French
That's what she does, the fickle wench

But wait and see that she will flip
When she will see my cruising ship
And tho I am an ugly freak
I am a ritzy crazy geek

The Blogger
blogger
Level 4
Level 4

Post by blogger »

THE TRUTH ABOUT TORRENT DOWNLOADS
Below is a thread from a forum on torrent downloads.

simonjohnlaw
http://login.yahoo.com/?.pd=c%3d1MKJL2W ... .yahoo.com% for you to
down load just get a good anti virus and hope for the best you take the chance if you download a torrent

As I reported earlier, I had a severe crash and loss of data in my hard disk during a torrent download.
The disk can't be detected at all by Partition Magic, or Gparted Live CD, and even by a Recovery CD.
It can be seen as a USB device though (mounted in an external HD case with a USB output).
The strange part is that, though I can see the folders in all partitions, most of them appear to be empty (no files inside them).

I thought I should report this situation so that other people will be cautious and report any strange occurrences.

Caution! This may be probably uniquely my own problem. Possibly a bad HDD?

Regards, the Blogger
Last edited by blogger on Fri May 11, 2007 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
blogger
Level 4
Level 4

Post by blogger »

Last edited by blogger on Mon May 14, 2007 3:34 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Open Chat”