Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" x64 released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" x64 released!

Post by darco »

This version is running like a champ.....are there any issues w/hibernate on a pc? Mine goes to sleep but am unable to wake it. I have an Nvidia 9800 gtx w/the 180.35 drivers...
thxs
darco
Penguinclaw

Post by Penguinclaw »

Just to update my previous post:
I am still "over the moon" with Gloria... now my wife is switching distro's... again from Ubuntu... she loves "the look"... and as she chose to marry me and my look how can I argue with that!!! :lol:
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

When moving between versions of LinuxMint (3 to 4, 4 to 5, etc.), I have always done a clean install. This time around, I installed Mint 7 x64 using the Ext4 file system option. Thus far, I simply cannot find anything about which to complain. If anyone has a 64-bit capable machine, I suggest giving Mint 7 x64 a test drive. You will not be disappointed. Clem and the team have once again released an excellent distro.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
jdog

Post by jdog »

install went well. looks great. just one annoying thing.after I log in, a window pops up. "users home/.dmre file is being ignored ..blah ..blah". I hit OK then I'm in. how do I get rid of that pop up ?
Mad_Mac

Post by Mad_Mac »

jdog wrote:install went well. looks great. just one annoying thing.after I log in, a window pops up. "users home/.dmre file is being ignored ..blah ..blah". I hit OK then I'm in. how do I get rid of that pop up ?
I have that too :S.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I suppose you two experience "users home/.dmrc is ignored...."
That's a serious error caused by changed permissions to some file in home
If you have changed file/folder permissions in home undo it
Then to get rid of the message
sudo chown username:username ~/.dmrc
sudo chmod 644 ~/.dmrc
Where of course username is your username - nothing else
It is not something that should pop up on its own....
jdog

Post by jdog »

O.K. so I know how this happened. I copied everything in the home folder from elyssa on another H.D. and copied it int home on Gloria. I,m not to clear on what I should remove now to fix it.
Husse

Post by Husse »

The user in Elyssa did not become the first user (1000) in Gloria
A bit drastic but
sudo chown -R username:username /home/username
should do it
Take a moment and consider if you have any files in home that should be owned by someone else - normally you don't
A BIG warning - never do this unless you are told to by a reliable source or know enough yourself
I do not recommend the GUI for this
When you are done check the properties of a file deep down in home you should be the owner and group
Any further dsicussion about this should be done as a separate support topic
ilamythest

Post by ilamythest »

Both my husband and I are running Mint 7 and we love it. It is a beautiful system that runs perfectly. All the problems we had with Ubuntu 9.04 seem to be resolved, and mint is the only distro we have ever run that our home network just works. Our only issue we've had (and it's not really an issue, more like an inconvenience) is that Java only works in Firefox 3.0. We both have Chromium installed (still an alpha so doesn't count) but he uses Opera, and we both have the new firefox 3.5 installed (beside 3.0) and while flash works great, java doesn't work in either of those. Like I said, not a problem, as we can still use 3.0 for radar loops (only thing we really need java for) just an inconvenience. Anyone else have this and know how to fix it? Doesn't matter if not......not giving up on Mint 7.
ZenDJiNN
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ZenDJiNN »

Gloria x64 is absolutely fantastic, and as always pretty much everything works great out of the box.... Nice one! :)
Question: Is this the "Support" thread for the x64 version? I keep looking around the Mint forums, and can't find much on the x64 release at all (Apart from this thread). Are there not that many people using it, or am i missing something blatantly obvious? (Probably the latter... i hope) :)

Cheers......
Husse

Post by Husse »

This is not a support topic at all - it is for you to make your opinion heard about the release
We do not differentiate between the 32 and the 64 bit version in support - the difference is small, but of course it's imperative to mention if you use the 64 bit one
ZenDJiNN
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ZenDJiNN »

Thanks for that husse, didn't realise that it was all in one place. Makes sense. :)

Cheers....
eeezzzeee

Post by eeezzzeee »

just got around to moving from mint 5 to mint 7. I am very impressed with the boot time and overall polish of the release. great work by the mint team.
deleted

Post by deleted »

A million thanks!!!
BlueLion

Post by BlueLion »

I've got a question: Is this the stable (final) release, or a beta version still?
ESM

Post by ESM »

Of course it's the stable one... otherwise it would have been called an RC :)
Husse

Post by Husse »

ESM wrote:Of course it's the stable one... otherwise it would have been called an RC :)
Almost :)
Intended to be the stable, but that is for you, the community, to decide - if too many bugs are found we have to make a RC2
ESM

Post by ESM »

Husse, I really hope that you made a joke. This version is brought out as the final version. So if any bugs are found I hope to see them as updates and not as a RC2.....
Husse

Post by Husse »

There is no way to upgrade from 32 to 64 bits (at least that I know of)
MarkusR

Post by MarkusR »

Yesterday I put together a new computer and installed both this release, and Windows XP 64-bit edition, as dual boot.

I would have to say that I absolutely love the ease and speed with which the Mint installed as compared to Windows. Much less total time, and many fewer interactions needed between the non-interactive portions of installs. Plus Mint has better partitioning support.

The only problem so far has been the WLAN setup. I have a year old WG311 card that ironically has no OEM drivers for XP 64-bit either. So the only problem I've had with Mint is the same I'm having with XP. I also used the Mint installation to download drivers, using the embedded NIC, for the MB that were needed by XP. I didn't have much time last night to figure out the WLAN, but I'm sure I'll get it working today (hopefully on both OS).

Edit (the next day): After trying to get the WLAN to work for a couple of hours, I decided to reinstall Mint, this time with the WLAN card installed. I'm happy to say it installed perfectly and selecting and logging into the wireless router was matter of two clicks and a password entry. (I did also manage to get it to work under XP, but that had it's own troubles.)

Return to “Releases & Announcements”