Installation Problem, Please Help!

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
joeforsale

Installation Problem, Please Help!

Post by joeforsale »

I am attempting to finally take the plunge and learn Linux, and I figured Mint seemed like the best distro for me to start with. I have had a successful install twice now, but each time after reboot I get the "Boot Failure, please enter system disk and hit enter" message. I have burned two Mint OS disks and tested each one and they are fine. I have a new Asus M3N-HT Deluxe board, but I'm not sure if there is any issue there because the live cd runs fine. Any help would be much appreciated thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Installation Problem, Please Help!

Post by exploder »

Take a careful look at your settings in the BIOS. I had the same problem at one time and a BIOS setting turned out to be the culprit. Sorry I do not remember what I changed...

Edit: Welcome to the forum!
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

joeforsale wrote:I have burned two Mint OS disks and tested each one and they are fine. I have a new Asus M3N-HT Deluxe board, but I'm not sure if there is any issue there because the live cd runs fine
If the CD boots and runs correctly (live), there should be little reason why it won't boot and install, it is almost the same process
--but there might still be a problem with the burned image (*.iso) file, either try a RW CD, which can only burn at 4x, and will avoid having top add to your collection of CD toasters, or burn the *.iso file at slow speed, the usual suggestion is 4x..
I usually burn Linux *.iso files at max speed, but have had an occasional problem with Mint/ubuntu, until I set the burn as slow speed..

http://discussions.hardwarecentral.com/ ... p?t=168539
post # 3
Indicates the CD Rom is not the first boot device and there is no operating system on the hard drive.
Recheck the CD Rom drive cables.
--before doing that, make sure the cdrom is the first boot device, in your bios (boot order selections)
timh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by timh »

joeforsale wrote:I have had a successful install twice now, but each time after reboot I get the "Boot Failure, please enter system disk and hit enter" message.
exploder wrote:Take a careful look at your settings in the BIOS. I had the same problem at one time and a BIOS setting turned out to be the culprit. Sorry I do not remember what I changed..
I had this issue with a mix of harddisks. One SATA and one IDE. I had to deactivate in the BIOS the IDE device :shock:

or the boot flag is missing [you can control this with Gparted(Live-CD)]
salu2
Tim
joeforsale

Post by joeforsale »

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. What I had to do was reinstall and select advanced options right after you enter your name and password. In advanced settings I selected the boot install to my hard drive instead of the hd1,0 (I think it was something like sda; sorry I don't have the exact info should have written it down, I think during the previous install it was trying to use my SATA along with the IDE that I was attempting to put the OS on). Anyways after this install it would boot to the Mint boot screen but then when trying to load OS it would say no image available. So I had to select edit on the first boot option and do one of two things to boot into Mint 1) Delete the first line which said (hd2,0) or 2) edit the line to (hd0,0). Not sure if I will have to do this every time or not yet as I haven't booted it up again. Again thanks for all the help and any suggestions on what I may have done wrong or how to solve my current boot problems would be great, thanks.
timh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by timh »

joeforsale wrote:Not sure if I will have to do this every time or not yet as I haven't booted it up again.
good to hear it works, you can edit the Grub menu after login.
With root-rights edit the file menu.lst but as always make first a backup of it :wink:

Code: Select all

sudo cp /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst~

Code: Select all

gksu gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
hope it works
:mrgreen:
joeforsale

Post by joeforsale »

Just wanted to say thanks. That last comment helped perfectly. Slowly learning linux more and more and loving it. The community is especially helpful. Thanks again.
timh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by timh »

joeforsale wrote:Just wanted to say thanks....
I'm happy to help you and good to hear it works!
I wish a nice minti week with no problems :)
Tim

Return to “Installation & Boot”