Sound problems

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SilverOne

Sound problems

Post by SilverOne »

What info would be needed to correct the sound and volume control on a dell 1525 inspiron laptop... ?
My Inspiron 1525 has a SigmaTel STAC 92xx C-Major HD Audio chipset, and I am having problems
with it muting my sound after lowering the main volume to about 65-70% and when I use the touch
controls for volume near my power button my sound is muted after pressing the volume down
button just a single time and it will stay there until I press the volume up button again. The volume
seems to adjust ok IF I adjust it in an audio program, but not with the main volume control or the
touch buttons. I have tried using a few of the fixes recommended BUT if anything it has made things
a little worse, instead of it taking 4 button presses to mute the sound it is at 1 now, that about the
only thing that has happened so far with the fixes.

Again, let me know what other information is needed and I will do my best to provide it, may need to
tell me how to produce it. I was able to fix some minor problems with my graphics, wireless and
mouse/touch pad relatively solo using google, ubuntu forums and here, just haven't been able to find
a fix for my audio issues.

I do have pulse and alsa installed, they were both installed when I installed Mint, should I remove 1?

Thanks in advance,
SilverOne

EDIT: Removed Pulse completely from the system, still having the issue with the touch control and
losing all sound when I drop the volume to about 65-70%
Also tried the rc.local fix, and what seems to be every other fix out there... am I just screwed on this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Sound problems

Post by Husse »

This post was split from a topic providing general info on Intel HDA
Please always make a new topic for a new problem
You have to tell us more facts.
The minimum is exactly which Mint you have - which version and which edition (main or any of the CEs)
We also need to know a bit about all your hardware.
Run " lspci " in a terminal and post here (to avoid misunderstanding - the first character is a minor L and you copy by marking with the mouse and then right click)
Some wifi and possibly built in sound can be connected to USB even if they are internal - if you suspect you have one of these run " lsusb " in a terminal.
Also tell us if this is using mint4win or not, quite important
This is a standard answer so it may not be fully applicable to your situation
SilverOne

Post by SilverOne »

here is what I get from lspci:

Code: Select all

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub (rev 0c)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 02)
00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 5 (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev f2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801HEM (ICH8M) LPC Interface Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) IDE Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA IDE Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
02:09.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller (rev 05)
02:09.1 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 22)
02:09.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C843 MMC Host Controller (rev 12)
02:09.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter (rev 12)
02:09.4 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller (rev ff)
09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (rev 12)
0b:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g (rev 01)
And from lsusb:

Code: Select all

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 007 Device 005: ID 0a5c:4503 Broadcom Corp. 
Bus 007 Device 004: ID 0a5c:4502 Broadcom Corp. 
Bus 007 Device 003: ID 413c:8126 Dell Computer Corp. Wireless 355 Bluetooth
Bus 007 Device 002: ID 0a5c:4500 Broadcom Corp. 
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Since the image I downloaded fits on a regular CD I am going to take a guess that it is the Main Edition of Mint 7: Gloria, this is because I do not have a x64 capable processor or mobo in this laptop either. I do apologize for replying on the previous topic, I was not sure if it was along the same lines as the original post or not. A little further information..

When I press the volume down touch control it drops my main volume to 65% and mutes my sound, but if I hover over the icon next to my clock and use my mouse wheel the sound doesnt "mute" itself (for lack of a better term) til about 50%. It has been suggested by some co-workers (who use different debian based versions of linux) that I may need to edit some scripts. Honestly, the last time I even played around with Linux at all (and no where near what I have been doing with Mint.. I love Linux Mint btw) was to install Red Hat and try to get it running on my old desktop. After a while I gave up because even with the help of people who had used Red Hat since its creation couldnt help me get even my video card (which at the time was an nVidia GeForce 5k series, cant remember the Red Hat version).

That was my first attempt at Linux, I tried Ubuntu briefly, liked it, but I had a bad copy (the MD5 checked out, but I think it got messed up during burning) and thats when another co-worker recommended Linux Mint to me (he has Ubuntu and Mint running on his machines) and here I am loving Mint, did get my touch pad working the way I like, was amazed when I found that it would use my Broadcom WiFi chipset where Ubuntu wouldn't (many thanks for that), so far my only big issues that have been "unsolvable" for me is getting my sound to work correctly and my WiFi to show as a wireless device (and use Wireless G instead of B), but as I said, I love the feel of Mint 7. I am soooo tempted to void my laptop warranty and do a complete switch from windows to mint.. Right now I use windows to listen to music though. I did not a minor issue that I believe I am close to resolving is probably beyond my control, that is being able to use the various visualizations I am hearing about, but I think that is related to my video card or my video card drivers, but that is for another post I think.

Many thanks in advance for all the assistance,
The Silver One
Husse

Post by Husse »

There have been some cases where people have experienced that the volume goes down all the way when you try to make a small adjustment - this happens in Windows too for some (don't know about Mac)
I know it was solved and for laptops - now I just have to find it again
SilverOne

Post by SilverOne »

I appreciate the help, the only reason I posted about my sound issue is because everything works fine in Vista (dual booting between the two)
And currently all the other devices are working as intended, not so sure about the WiFi card, but thats another post if it get to the point I am stumped like I am with
my sound issue. You dont know how much I appreciate the help with getting this resolved, I just hope the resolution isnt reloaded Mint lmao.
Husse

Post by Husse »

You may possibly have to wait for Mint 8 I think the .30 kernel solves a few things
I finally found (one of) the previous report(s) here
SilverOne

Post by SilverOne »

Again, appreciate the help, I was wondering if it would be possible to edit the scripts as a fix (if there are any scripts that control the volume keys)
Not being a programmer (yet) all I can do is think of possibilities, would need help finding out whether or not they can be done :-/
Im working on it though, I would love to get back into programming... last time i did any was a basic program for dos :(
Husse

Post by Husse »

I have read the bug reports in the link above specifically in this launchpad bug
This is really something that needs a change in the kernel, not sure if the kernel in Ubuntu 9.10 will fix it but it seems so
I found two workarounds
One that definitely is not easy to read in the Ubuntu forums here
and one that is a bit more easy to understand, and roughly the same as the Ubuntu forum fix, found here
With that I can not provide any more ways to solve this
SilverOne

Post by SilverOne »

Thanks, I am actually heading into work now so I wont be able to try those yet, but I will copy them into a document and check into it during my lunch break. I am up for anything to get this to work, if neither of them work then I will just have to be patient for the next release. Thanks so much for the help, seems your search skills are exceedingly better than mine, I couldn't find those fixes when I searched.
Husse

Post by Husse »

your search skills are exceedingly better than mine
Practice gives results :)
SilverOne

Post by SilverOne »

Well, got some sort of good news,
Since I was dual booting between Linux and Windows I decided to reinstall Linux and remove the windows partition completely (fresh install to prevent some other things from breaking) and now my volume up and down buttons are not as touchy, but now I cant get gsynaptics to work again without setting the line in my xorg.conf file from SendCoreEvents to CorePointer, which breaks my scroll zones, but hey, at least it takes 4 pushes of my volume down to mute sound at 50-60% instead of 1 lmao

Return to “Hardware Support”