Sound Issues with Intel HDA

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zorori

Sound Issues with Intel HDA

Post by zorori »

I am unable to get any audio output from my PC. Some devices are listed in my Sound Preferences window yet they are either mute or I generate an error when I attempt to test them. For Example, under Sound Preferences -> Music and Movies -> Sound Playback:

Autodetect - no sound
HDA Intel ALC888 Analog (ALSA) - "Could not open audio device for playback"
HDA Intel ALC888 Analog (OSS) - no sound
HDA Intel ALC888 Analog (OSS) - no sound (yes, this option is in there twice)
ALSA - Advanced Linux Sound Architecture - no sound
ESD - Enlightened Sound Daemon - no sound
OSS - Open Sound System - no sound
PulseAudio Sound Server - no sound

I am running Linux Mint 7, 32-bit main distribution. My PC is a Gateway SX2800-03, which utilizes the Intel G43 chipset and ICH10 southbridge. I am using the HDMI output for sound, although I tried the other audio outputs and no luck there either. Windows reports the audio device as "Intel High Def Audio Location 3 (Internal High Def Audio Bus)".

dmesg detects relevant devices as follows:
[ 8.374403] agpgart-intel 0000:00:00.0: Intel G45/G43 Chipset
[ 8.375058] agpgart-intel 0000:00:00.0: detected 32764K stolen memory
[ 8.377440] agpgart-intel 0000:00:00.0: AGP aperture is 256M @ 0xd0000000
[ 8.587099] HDA Intel 0000:00:1b.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 22 (level, low) -> IRQ 22
[ 8.587163] HDA Intel 0000:00:1b.0: setting latency timer to 64

Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Sound Issues with Intel HDA

Post by Husse »

You have Intel HDA sound
and it is very probable that the standard solution for all kinds of problems with HDA works
You change model to what ever you have or auto or some more exotic model like in this topic
You may have to try many different "models" to get it to work - brand or model ...
Note the link to a post in the Ubuntu forums for a list of "models"
zorori

Post by zorori »

Husse wrote:You have Intel HDA sound
and it is very probable that the standard solution for all kinds of problems with HDA works
You change model to what ever you have or auto or some more exotic model like in this topic
You may have to try many different "models" to get it to work - brand or model ...
Note the link to a post in the Ubuntu forums for a list of "models"
My distribution is a little different because I had to modify a file called alsa-base.conf instead of alsa-base. Also, my chipset is the ICH10, not the ICH8 as described in the post. Has this solution been verified to work with ICH10?

The "standard solution" did not work. I tried about 5 different models that seemed similar, in addition to "auto", and there was no effect.
Husse

Post by Husse »

It works for ICH7 and forward (at least to ICH10)
Sorry I thought the .conf thing was mentioned - have to correct that
I'm running out of time so I have to come back to you
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

One of my fallbacks for sound solutions is to check that the pulseaudio server is running correctly, launch the "PulseAudio Device Chooser" to check it doesn't come up with a could not connect error.

p.s. This is all assuming you've got past the stage of checking the volume control is unmuted - right-click on volume applet > preferences, then enable all the channels for each device using the preferences.

Return to “Hardware Support”