Abiword weird underline

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Rokurosv

Abiword weird underline

Post by Rokurosv »

I just installed Abiword cause sometimes I wanna make a quick document or paste some info and I got this weird underline in my text. It's dotted. At first I thought it was a grammar plugin I installed. I removed the plugin and the underline is still there. I added a screenshot to show my problem. I really haven't used Abiword so maybe I'm just doing it wrong xD.

Thanks for your time.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Abiword weird underline

Post by DrHu »

Fisrt thing I notice, the application is in Spanish (I think), and the text is in English; perhaps the application cannot translate that ?
--or you are missing some support files for abiword..
optimize me

Post by optimize me »

I see by your menu bar that English isn't your default language, but you're writing a message in English. Those words don't exist in your native language, so they're marked as spelling errors.

There's probably a couple different ways to go about this. I would imagine that you could either A) Change your default language to English; B) Download and install an English dictionary (assuming they exist for AbiWord); or C) Use OpenOffice, which can definitely change dictionaries/locales/languages without changing the default for the entire OS.

Somebody more well versed in AbiWord might know something I don't and have a definite step-by-step solution for you, but the language thing is the root of the problem.
Rokurosv

Post by Rokurosv »

I've tried writing in both languages, the english text was just to show you. It's weird cause spelling errors are still marked when I write in spanish, with a red curvy underline, and the dotted line remains. Perhaps I'm missing some files like DrHu said but I find that weird since I'm only using the default repositories, except for a few specific app repositories like Gwibber and Libpurple.

Offtopic: Sorry for the large screenshot, I should have posted a thumbnail and upload the photo somewhere :P
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Actual document markup codes being used ..
Are you able to turn on all document markup codes to see the data that is actually there ?

Possible areas of investigation are..
Last edited by DrHu on Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rokurosv

Post by Rokurosv »

Well I've tried all of the above suggestions and reinstalled Abiword, but the underline still remains. I'm gonna see if the visual effects are causing this since when I scroll down the page the lines go away, so I get the feeling it might be related

Edit: Yep, just tried turning the effects off and the underline is gone. I wonder why it causes this, I'm using a laptop with an Intel graphics chip so maybe it's the driver or something. Well just have to turn the effects off for some quick writing.
keithp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by keithp »

Reviving the thread.

I have had similar problems with Abiword in Gloria-main, but not in previous Linux Mint versions.

The screen fonts were very thick (thicker than the normal 'bold') and, as I typed, each letter was underlined with a short thick bar - just as in the original post in this thread. Deleting the letters with <Backspace> still left the bars. They only disappeared when I pressed <RET>. Then they started again on the new line. The cursor was a very think bar and it didn't blink.

As an aside, the OpenOffice screen fonts were very poor as well.

I spent a considerable time trying to find the cause, but couldn't. I tried everything suggested here, including downloading and installing Abiword again. I started off with my standard font settings, and then tried others. All to no avail.

So, wondering if it was something to do with one of the updates, I ran the live CD of Gloria-main, and downloaded Abiword. Exactly the same problems.

Next, I ran the live CD of Gloria-XFCE RC1 and downloaded Abiword again. No problems! Abiword ran perfectly, as it has done in the past.

OpenOffice fonts were all excellent.

So, finally, I replaced Gloria-main with Gloria-XFCE RC1 on my hard drive, did all the upgrades, and installed Abiword.

It all looks and runs great, and I am a very happy XFCE user! But it's rather a drastic thing to have to do in order to get a program to run correctly and for the fonts to look good!

Just thought that this may be of interest to someone.

Cheers

Keith
globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

Are there any new solutions to this problem that haven't been posted? I am experiencing the same problem. I am using Mint 7 Gnome version.

Cheers

Return to “Software & Applications”