Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" KDE RC1 released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" KDE RC1 released!

Post by clem »

The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 7 “Gloria” KDE Community Edition RC1. Quick steps: Download the ISO or the torrent. While it’s downloading look at the overview of the new features and make sure to quickly go through the known issues. After the ISO is downloaded verify the MD5. Burn the ISO at low speed [...]
Read more: http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=935

Bug thread: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=28765

Clem
mikesol

Re: Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" KDE RC1 released!

Post by mikesol »

Hello

I have Gloria with gnome, but I want to try KDE. It's possible use both graphical managers without any conflict?

Thanks a lot.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Congratulations Boo!
divot66
Level 1
Level 1

Post by divot66 »

Just installed it. Only problem so far is the Hardware Driver Activation button did not work. Had to add the Nvidia drivers through synaptic. Other than that excellent so far.
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

I just wanted to say I'm very impressed with Gloria KDE RC1. I tried Kubuntu 8.10, 9.04, and Felicia KDE and couldn't stand any of them. You guys really outdid yourselves with this one.

Thanks and congrats.

Mark
phoenixrising

Post by phoenixrising »

First of all, congratulations to Boo and team!

I must say I'm happy that this edition is bearing the Mint looks/artwork rather than the regular KDE one (something that I missed in Felicia KDE) :D . I have some 'bandwidth constraint' which is compelling me to wait for the final Gloria KDE rather than try out the RC1 but can anyone tell how Firefox is looking in this? In Felicia KDE Firefox had some issue causing the toolbars and the tabs/buttons to look a little weird which had to be solved by installing another theme -- so would be grateful if someone gives a heads-up on the how Firefox and Thunderbird are looking with this edition.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Hi phoenixrising!

Firefox looks just fine in this release.

exploder
phoenixrising

Post by phoenixrising »

exploder wrote:Hi phoenixrising!

Firefox looks just fine in this release.

exploder
Cool!! Thank you exploder :)
andy06

Post by andy06 »

Hi,

Can anyone please tell me when the full version of Mint 7 KDE will be released? I looked through this thread and the other one made specifically for this question but could not see a date. Approximate time frame is more than enough.

I would look through the previous schedules to figure it out but only 1 previous KDE edition has come out and that too quite recently, so I don't know if I can go by that? Ubuntu/Kubuntu's RC period was about a week, so will it be the same here or will it be more like Mint 7 GNOME's one month period (please correct me if I am wrong). :D

It's just that I am going to try Mint for the first time with this release and would rather wait it out than fiddle with Mint 6 KDE.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

andy06, there is no set time for the final release. This will not be released as final until the bugs are fixed. We do not work on a set schedule like Ubuntu does. Quality is more important to us than a specific release date.
andy06

Post by andy06 »

Thanks exploder,

Just a couple more questions:

1. How about a very approximate ballpark date? (like say......it *should* be out in less than a month) :D

2.What will Mint's KDE schedule like in the future. I don't mean exact dates but you know how Mint 6 KDE came out literally just before Mint 7 GNOME was coming out, and now Mint 7 KDE is adjusting to be much sooner and closer to the GNOME release. So in the future, will it oscillate depending on the bugs or will the focus of effort be to release the KDE edition with GNOME or just before the next GNOME release?

I ask because I will make my decision between GNOME and KDE based on that. So if KDE lags by 1 week or 1 month, I guess thats no problem but if it will lag by one version, I might lean towards Mint GNOME :D
takakia

Post by takakia »

Congratulations on for this lovely release. There was no good distro for KDE users and Gloria KDE fills the gap. Can you please tell me if I can install this RC and do the updates to get the final one (noobie here). And moreover can u make Firefox 3.5 the default here? Ubuntu's FF 3.5 sucks..
mdshaver

Post by mdshaver »

I just had questions about WiFi and pdf printing. I had been using Linux Mint 7 (gnome) since its release and I liked it a lot but wanted to give KDE a try due to problems with Brasero and interest in the idea of better desktop integration found with KDE. Due to the known WiFi issues with Kubuntu 9.04, I ended up giving Mandriva 2009.1 KDE a try. I think it's okay but I prefer the Debian-based distro. Is the wifi issue truly resolved in Mint? Is there anyway to print to pdf in the final version?
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Is the wifi issue truly resolved in Mint? Is there anyway to print to pdf in the final version?
Other than Broadcom the wifi issues should be resolved. Broadcom drivers will be included in the final, Boo has these noted to be added. Print to pdf will be fixed for the final release, this is part of our quality standards. Boo has put a lot of hard work into this release and I am confident the remaining issues will be resolved.
Congratulations on for this lovely release. There was no good distro for KDE users and Gloria KDE fills the gap. Can you please tell me if I can install this RC and do the updates to get the final one (noobie here). And moreover can u make Firefox 3.5 the default here? Ubuntu's FF 3.5 sucks..
Boo usually provides the information to update from the RC to the final release. Firefox 3.0.11 will be the default version of Firefox for this release. I have seen reports of problems with Firefox 3.5, it is best to wait and use the stable supported version for this release. I totally agree with you about KDE releases, this is one of the best I have tried. I have this edition installed on my main machine and am very happy with it!
mickel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mickel »

I have been using "Gloria", ( sounds odd doesn't it ?), for about two days now and I really like it. It is not only elegant but tight, fast and so far, reliable. I felt that KDE 5 was best up until now. I have not had any problems with anything except I can't find the screen savers. ( I like to run the big analog clock thats in KDE).
I use an Hp Pavillion 667 Celeron with 1.5gb of ram and a Viewsonic 20" wide screen 1680x1050 and I'm having no problems with WiFi ,resolution or sound.
Thanks for a great version of a great distro!
mickel
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

mickel, the screen savers are in, System Settings, Desktop.
mikesol

Post by mikesol »

mikesol wrote:Hello

I have Gloria with gnome, but I want to try KDE. It's possible use both graphical managers without any conflict?

Thanks a lot.
Does anyone have any comment about it???

Thanks
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Welcome to the forum ian alvin! You might be alright downloading from there but you would probably be better off downloading from one of the official mirrors.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Will there ever be a 64-bit edition of the KDE?
Sorry, there are no plans of a 64 bit version at this time.
axel668

Post by axel668 »

A question: I already got Gloria Gnome version. Could someone post the address of the KDE apt repositories, so that I can try just add it to my existing installation ?
Thanks in advance ...

Also got an answer for you guys, in return:
hey i just installed this and my wifi doesnt work, it worked just fine in the gnome version ,
This is an issue with KDE4 network widget / applet / whatever. In Kubuntu I could solve it by just installing the network-manager-gnome package. Then run nm-applet (from terminal or add to autostart). This "hack" gives you the Gnome Network Manager applet in KDE. Not as ugly as you would think, and it does the job. (It's also in the official screenshot, if I am not mistaken) :D

Return to “Releases & Announcements”