Logitech Fusion webcam

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vajohn1308

Logitech Fusion webcam

Post by vajohn1308 »

I can't seem to get this to work on my desktop.

What i did manage to find out is the following
Bus 001 Device 010: ID 046d:08c1 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Fusion ....
if that's any help at all.
I do not think that the uvc drivers ( i believe that is what they are called ) are installed
Please remember ... newbie here so be gentle.
Any help would be greatly appreciated since this is the ONLY thing i cannot get workign on my desktop system . Everythign else works just wonderfuly

vajohn1308
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vajohn1308

Re: Logitech Fusion webcam

Post by vajohn1308 »

Thanks for pointing out that url but i found something out that i would like to mention.
The url that you gave me points a posting that has to do with installing the UVC drivers for the fusion webcam . I checked on a reference concerning linux drivers on the logitech site that has to do webcams. On that logitech page it lists the Fusion drivers as SPCA525 not uvc. Since i am new to linux ( other than tinkering around for a bit with a few flavors) i am unsure as to what drivers that i should use to get the fusion webcam to work .

I did try the uvc routine and it did not work in either cheese, or the two other programs mentioned in the page you point me to.Since that time i have removed everything and did a totally fresh install of Mint 7 and ONLY installed the needed updates /upgrades that the OS called for. Will await further advice before i proceed since i am unsure / at a loss as to what to do next.

Thanks very much

vajohn1308

P.S. i am going to a local linux group meeting tomorrow and I am going to ask there if anyone there might be able to offer any help. Will advise if they do
vajohn1308

Post by vajohn1308 »

nobody at the linux meeting could give me any advice. Average comment when asked about this problem " i don't use any wecam so i have no idea what to do or how to fix YOUR problem"..
A lil on the CURT side as well.... so i won't be going back to that place for any future meetings. I was disappointed to say the least. SO much for so called experts.

vajohn1308
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

vajohn1308 wrote:nobody at the linux meeting could give me any advice. Average comment when asked about this problem " i don't use any wecam so i have no idea what to do or how to fix YOUR problem"..
I was disappointed to say the least. SO much for so called experts.
SO much for so called experts.
Nobody can make it work for you, unless they just happen to have the exact same issue and resolved it..
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=194793

http://linux-uvc.berlios.de/#footnote-1
http://www.quickcamteam.net/documentati ... tibilities
1 First and second generation Logitech webcams suffer from firmware bug which make the camera somehow unstable. As the issue is timing-related, the exact impact of the bug on a particular user can't be predicted. If you plan to buy a Logitech webcam, consider getting one of the models not affected by the bug. More information about the issue, including possible workarounds, are available on the QuickCam Team website.

2 Starting at version 2.6.22, the Linux kernel includes a USB audio bug fix which triggers a (possibly identical to the above) bug in first and second generation Logitech webcams. See the Linux UVC wiki for a workaround.
vajohn1308

Post by vajohn1308 »

I wiped the drive totally clean and reinstalled Mint7. I then followed the uvc installation routine that was noted in the link you posted. It all went well.

I tested the Fusion webcam with dmesg and got a lot of errors. I then shut the machine down totally.. unplugged the Fusion webcam. In its place i put a
Logitech quickcam for notebooks pro that i had bought last year. After restarting the machine i checked the functionality with CHEESE. NO good.
Opened up a terminal then did lsusb and the Notebook cam was detected. Tried dmesg and it showed it was there and working with no errors.
Then i went to control center and clicked on multimedia systems selection under hardware.
Checked the video and it worked fine. . Went back to CHEESE and it worked just fine.

The only thing i have to do each time i boot up the system is to do that same routine each time .. dmesg then multimedia/video and test it.
(small price to pay for it functioning properly)After that no problems at all with CHEESE ( which i used as the default test for both tries with the Fusion
and the Notebook pro webcam)

Hope this might help someone with the non functionality. I have not tested the notebook cam on Skype or Ekiga. but i will and will post the results here
when i do.

Seems that a LOT Logitech webcams that are more than a year or year and a half old suffer from a software/firmware bug that prevents them working in
Mint or most derivatives of ubuntu/kubuntu.

Even though logitech quicam linux support page says that the cam is compat with only SPCA525.. it works just fine with the newest UVC drivers

Return to “Hardware Support”