can't find screens error

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
clhodapp

Re: can't find screens error

Post by clhodapp »

Try starting the liveCD in compatibility mode. When the countdown appears, press any key, then select compatibility.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clhodapp

Post by clhodapp »

Hmm... Can you walk me through what you are doing more precisely. Specifically, what you are doing when you say:
2. chose demo and full
3. chose help me boot from cd

rebooted
chose mint_main_blahblah
Specifically, are you performing these steps from Vista's desktop?
clhodapp

Post by clhodapp »

Ok. Can you try something? Put the cd into your computer on your Vista desktop. When the window you have been working with comes up, just close it. Then restart your computer. Boot the cd (you may need to hit a certain key or change bios settings to boot to a cd). A live environment should load automatically (preceeded by the countdown to which I was referring). It's possible, however, that it will just give the same error it did the last time. If so, just restart again and select compatibility mode. If one of those works, you should just be able to follow the instructions in the user guide:
http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/ ... nglish.pdf

Notes:
1) You may want to defragment windows before you do any kind of repartitioning for dual booting. The results should be far better.
2) Moving/Resizing partitions can take a LOOONG time. You may have to leave it running for several hours or overnight depending on your computer's specs.
3) If you know what Mint4Win is and were intending on using it, don't install this way and tell me.
clhodapp

Post by clhodapp »

Hmm.. do you ever see something that looks like this?:
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

If you press "any key" on the screen clhodapp has posted you will get an options menu.
clhodapp

Post by clhodapp »

I think I know what your problems are and what the solutions are:
1) you installed mint from the vista desktop. this creates a mint4win install. uninstall it from vista's programs and features menu.
2) your computer isn't configured for booting from cd. change your bios settings.
clhodapp

Post by clhodapp »

try all your F-keys and delete.
clhodapp

Post by clhodapp »

You have to change it in your bios settings. There should be something about setting the boot order. Make sure that your disc drive appears before your hard drives.

Return to “Beginner Questions”