Troubles with Mint Linux 7 and - Jaunty Jackalope.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lantesh

Re: Troubles with Mint Linux 7 and - Jaunty Jackalope.

Post by Lantesh »

IRQ translates as interrupt request, which is how your processor talks to your other hardware devices over the bus. Every piece of hardware has what I guess you could call an IRQ address. It sounds like you've got a hardware device that is somehow getting in the way of the installation process. My advice would be to disconnect anything that isn't absolutely necessary for the PC to function, and try running the install again. You might even need to go so far as to remove PCI cards you have installed inside the PC. You can then re-connect everything after Mint is done installing.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Troubles with Mint Linux 7 and - Jaunty Jackalope.

Post by DrHu »

Foxy wrote:Whenever I start up Felicia, a message, saying something like 'Unexpected IRQ trap at Vector 9' appears briefly before the OS loads and runs -
The OS loads and runs, and seems fine to you in its functions
  • desktop appears
  • you can logon
    --connect to the Internet
  • run any applications installed
If so, then probably would be no problem with next version of this distribution, as your hardware seems to work with the OS (Felicia)..
If it actually turns into a problem with the irqs'' that the OS cannot work around, some options are available as a boot parameter
irqpoll
pci=noapic
acpi=off
Lantesh wrote:My advice would be to disconnect anything that isn't absolutely necessary for the PC to function, and try running the install again
Can occur for the usual suspects, some of which you need to have installed
  • The usual suspects are devices like..
  • USB devices
  • Network devices (pci, usb)
  • Mouse (usb)
    --the standard ps2 is usually ok, since it has been a part of the normal PC components for so long
--and you could also change the bios from plug & play OS to non plug & play, either way if one or the other cause a problem
or switch the location of various pci cards, network, video; if possible

Return to “Beginner Questions”