Linux 'Q's from a newbie in London UK

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Nigalius

Linux 'Q's from a newbie in London UK

Post by Nigalius »

Hi...

Just one day ago I installed Linux Mint 7 Gloria (what is it actually called please)? Right now it is like a new toy that I can just about understand. I have managed to suss out how to network it to my other XP computer all by myself (aint I a clever boy)? But I will try to be a bit serious now. I know that in the near future at least I am going to have many questions and feel guilty that I will have to ask them when I am sure some will be really trivial. I hope that is ok with others on this forum? I have a lot to learn and dont want to try and run before I can walk. I dont think I will completely get rid of windows and one reason for this is that I am an extensive user of Adobe Photoshop. I know there is Gimp on Mint but good as that is I know photoshop and dont know gimp. Anyways, on to my question for today... Since I have had Linux installed I have been looking all over the place for info and have found it very helpful to read past postings in this forum. However, sometime last night I was looking around and somewhere came across a site/page that showed me lots of things that can be installed on Mint. There were utilities, games, apps, and many many other things that could be downloaded to gradually get my computer to something how I would like it. But... I cant remember where I saw this page. Has anyone got any idea? I know there are many things allready installed but I also know that there are many other things that I can install. So, can anyone tell me a site that I can go to that will give me a heap of proggys that can be installed on Mint if I so wish?

I could ask so many other things here but will save them for other days. But right now if I can learn one thing at a time by using this forum and also learn a few things by playing around with the programme I will be happy.

I am sorry that at the moment I can not offer help to anyone as I know zilch myself but if anyone has any questions regarding tropical fish or photography I may be able to help there as that is my 2 main hobbies.

Thanks

Nigel
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Linux 'Q's from a newbie in London UK

Post by exploder »

The Software Manager in the menu is a good way to add software, it provides screen shots, descriptions and user ratings. Since you said you were new to Linux, this would probably be the easiest way to go. Oh, and welcome to the forum!
Nigalius

Post by Nigalius »

Hi Exploder...

I have tried to click on 'Software Manager' but I keep getting an error message saying...

Could Not Grab Your Mouse
A malicious client may be eavesdropping on your session or you may have just clicked a menu or some application just decided to get focus.

Do you know what this is please? I am pretty sure that last night I managed to access Software Manager but now I cant do so.

Thank You

Nigel
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I did a search in Mint with that exact error message ( Subtle hint on using search :wink: ). See if this works:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 459#p89166
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Beginner Questions”