Nvidia Grpahics Tool changes wont stay [solved]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Netizen1993

Nvidia Grpahics Tool changes wont stay [solved]

Post by Netizen1993 »

Hi all..

I was thinking that the nvidia tool should have root privs.. since the xorg.conf file is owned by root.. and it can't write the changes to that file.. is this something that's fairly easy to fix?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
markcynt

Re: Nvidia Grpahics Tool

Post by markcynt »

If you're looking to edit that file, run this in Terminal.

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
If you just want use the Nvidia X Server Settings GUI as root run this in Terminal.

Code: Select all

sudo nvidia-settings
Hope this helps.
Netizen1993

Re: Nvidia Grpahics Tool

Post by Netizen1993 »

Yep, Sure enough... thanks for the info.. but it would be alot less confusing if the tool just ran with the necessary perms... as a fresh windows convert would find so many extra steps a burden..

Just my 2 cents ....

Thanks.. will add the [Solved] tag now :)
markcynt

Re: Nvidia Grpahics Tool changes wont stay [solved]

Post by markcynt »

Glad I could help. :)
as a fresh windows convert would find so many extra steps a burden..
That's where the "Linux is not Windows" phrase comes into play.

You'll get used to it. I used to feel that way too but I've since seen the wisdom in the way Linux works.
Netizen1993

Post by Netizen1993 »

OH I agree with you completely.. and it's cool... my thinking was more just along the lines of, a system configuration utility.. should prompt the user for the correct password.. so it can complete, what it's supposed to do and have the settings saved properly.. it really gives an un-finished feel.. especially when it comes to system configuration..

Just some of the feed back I get from the users I support.. :)

Cheers...
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

should prompt the user for the correct password.. so it can complete, what it's supposed to do and have the settings saved properly
That would be helpful, yes.
rhodry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rhodry »

/quote......
That's where the "Linux is not Windows" phrase comes into play.
You'll get used to it. I used to feel that way too but I've since seen the wisdom in the way Linux works.
......../endquote

I am not trying to be rude here but this comment is SO refreshing to see! There are unfortunate assumptions that seem to come with many people who have used Windows for a long time, that solutions are about using "superuser" powers to bludgeon the system to your will. Linux was designed from day one as a true multitasking, multiuser operating system. You should always look first for a solution that solves the problem for the individual user with NO effect on other users.

For example, I have one system that I maintain that has 5 users each with very different needs in terms of the Monitor they sit at to access the same X server; ranging from wide screen laptops the new LCD to old CRT monitors. What happens if I charge in as "superuser" and save the nvidia-settings for my monitor to the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and the next poor user tries to login using a totally different configuration? Trouble is what.

The reason the nvidia-settings tool does not ask you to automatically become the "superuser" is because it can be used by individual users to suit themselves.

Run the tool, setup what you want - this creates a config file in your home folder called .nvidia-settings-rc. To start that file automatically when you (AND YOU ALONE) logon you create another file in your Home folder called .xinitrc - notice the dot as it is another hidden file. In that file put this text:

#!/usr/bin/env bash
/usr/bin/nvidia-settings --load-config-only &
exec gnome-session

Save the file and make it executable -
$chmod +x ~/.xinitrc

Then make a soft link from .xsession to .xinitrc -

$ln -s .xsession .xinitrc

When you log on these files are read by the X server - load the nvidia-settings config for YOU without actually running the nvidia-settings program, then continue to load your session (I use Gnome version of Mint).

Do this for each user on your system and the individual settings can be as different as you like.

Linux is more complex because it is more powerful. Don't "club" it to get what you need, learn it and work with it - knowledge is power!! :wink:

Cheers,
Rhodry.

Return to “Software & Applications”