Black Screen

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
johnnyj

Re: Black Screen

Post by johnnyj »

I'm new to Linux myself. I've only used it for a few months. But I'll take a crack at this.

What happens if you log into the terminal window and type "startx"?

If that doesn't work, maybe X (the software that gives you a GUI in Linux) is configured wrong.

When you're in the grub menu, boot into recovery mode. Then select the "Xfix" option in the recovery menu. Then drop into a root terminal, and type "reboot". You probably won't need to reboot, but it might help.

If that doesn't work, boot into recovery mode, drop into a root terminal, type "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg", then answer the questions. Then when it's done, type "reboot".

If that doesn't work, I'm out of ideas.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
johnnyj

Post by johnnyj »

Well, that's weird. Maybe I can still help.
startx - get error: server is already running on display 0
If the X server is already running, maybe it's doing something. What happens when you type Ctrl+Alt+F7? This should bring up your 7th "virtual terminal" (or "TTY"), which is the one your X server runs in.
johnnyj

Post by johnnyj »

By the way, you said you couldn't get to Xfix. You can get to things like Xfix by going into "recovery mode". This is how you go into recovery mode in Mint4Win:
  • Start your computer.

When you get that screen that says "Select operating system to boot", select Linux Mint and hit enter.

Now it'll tell you to press Esc to see a menu. Hit the Esc key.

Now you're in the grub menu. There should be an entry that has the words "(recovery mode)" at the end of it. Select that entry and hit enter.

Now you should get a menu that has various options in it, like Xfix and drop to a root terminal. This is recovery mode.
johnnyj

Post by johnnyj »

160809 wrote:Pressing Ctrl+Alt+F7 brings a black screen (no signal)
Tried recovery mode, xfix was selected but still no signal

I have tried to look at the xorg.conf file but there doesnt appear to be any ( sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf), maybe this is the problem?
You probably got the message:
Gtk-WARNING **: Cannot open display
when you tried to open gedit. gedit can't run in a terminal because it's graphical.

However, nano can run in a terminal. So you should be able to get to xorg.conf with:

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Now, I don't know what any of the stuff in xorg.conf means. But I do know that if xorg.conf is messed up, you may be able to fix it with:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
which will guess what to put in xorg.conf and put it in there.

If that doesn't work, the following may still work:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
The difference between this and the other one is that this one will ask you questions instead of just guessing. I had a similar problem to yours a few weeks ago, and I was able to fix it this way.

After changing your xorg.conf, it's a good idea to reboot with:

sudo reboot
If that doesn't work, then you might have a driver issue, which I don't know how to fix.

Return to “Beginner Questions”