Panel Moves on Restart?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
curt_grymala

Panel Moves on Restart?

Post by curt_grymala »

I am currently using Linux Mint 7 x64, though this issue is also present in Linux Mint 6 x86 and Linux Mint 7 x86. I have tested this issue on multiple computers, including VirtualBox installations of Linux Mint 7 x64 and x86.

I keep my main Mint panel docked at the top of my screen with it set to auto-hide. I also created a new panel and docked it at the bottom of my screen (I use it sort of as a "quick launch" panel). If I keep it expanded, everything works just fine. However, if I uncheck the "Expand" checkbox in the properties for the bottom panel, it will appear at the top of my screen when I reboot.

I have tested this by docking the "quick launch" panel at the left side of the screen, and it stays where it is supposed to upon restart. However, any time I keep it docked at the bottom, with "Expand" disabled, it always repositions itself at the top of the screen on restart.

Does anyone know how to solve this issue? Is this a bug? Does anyone know if this is present in Ubuntu (I doubt it, since Ubuntu generally places the main panel at the top of the screen, rather than the bottom - as is the default in Mint)?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clhodapp

Re: Panel Moves on Restart?

Post by clhodapp »

Open the gconf editor: mintMenu->Terminal->gconf-editor.
Navigate to /apps/panel/toplevels/<whichever panel is not expaned> and set the key "y_bottom" to 1.
curt_grymala

Post by curt_grymala »

Thanks for the response. That fixed it. For some reason, the "y_bottom" value was set to -1 instead of 0. Changing it to 0 made it stop jumping back to the top of the screen on restart.
clhodapp

Post by clhodapp »

glad that worked, but I think it really should be 1. Logic is supposed to be 1=true, -1=false.

Return to “Beginner Questions”