radeon in debian and a guide for installing

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mlyy

radeon in debian and a guide for installing

Post by Mlyy »

So, I installed linuxmint gloria this morning, installed alien but I can't figure out how to to repack the driver from ati into a debian package.

so I did a bit of looking up just now and found this: http://xoomer.virgilio.it/flavio.stanch ... aller.html

I'm pretty sure gloria works with debian, but thought I'd ask two questions anyways.

Is this recomendable?

Also I think that gloria comes with the nvidia drivers by default; am I right?

Thanks in advance for answers.

edit:That site has a link to prepackaged ati drivers in debian, but i'm not sure if there is one for radeon 9200

I thought about it and I thought this was the most important question of all. Should I bother with mint since I have ati radeon 9200 or should I just go for a different distro? I can't afford a new card.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clhodapp

Re: radeon in debian and a guide for installing

Post by clhodapp »

I would really NOT recommend installing hardware drivers with alien. Have you checked if the "Hardware Drivers" tool can supply the drivers you need?
Mlyy

Post by Mlyy »

it does not. My card is radeon 9200 (128mb).
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

Hello, Miyy, and Welcome to Linux Mint. The open-source radeon driver comes with linux mint, and will be automatically activated when your card is detected on install.
Mlyy

Post by Mlyy »

thanks for the welcome. and do you mean the linux install or me installing the card physically? as in, do I have to pull it out and put it back in?

Also I get screen flickering from videos and slow down during certain programs and video games so I doubt I have the optimum driver for my card.

I've read that a lot of people seem to have trouble with radeon 9200 so I'm guessing mint just isn't very compatible with it?
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

You will get the best hardware compatibility when you install mint onto a machine with all the hardware plugged in, so I meant plug in the graphics card before you install mint. Have you tried disabling compiz to solve your other graphics issues, as it can cause problems.
Mlyy

Post by Mlyy »

I disable it in synaptic? I suppose that should save me a lot of memory as well huh.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

no, sorry, it's much less disruptive than that, just select none in the Effects tab of the Appearance preferences app.
Mlyy

Post by Mlyy »

while we're at it, I don't have any sound with my video playbacks on firefox. Where's the settings for that? I got sound everywhere else, but not on firefox.

Return to “Beginner Questions”