Can I make a seperate partission for my data?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bobsmith

Re: Can I make a seperate partission for my data?

Post by bobsmith »

I, too, have my data on a separate partition. Actually, I have identical copies of all data on three separate partitions that are on three separate drives, with one of those drives being an external drive that I sync once a month with the other two. When I installed Mint, I just left all data where it was. I simply created a partition for Mint and installed it (I dual boot with XP). Mint reads and writes to ntfs partitions just fine, so you'll be able to access your existing data from Mint.

When updating Mint I prefer a clean install (plus I like to tinker and have the time), so I always start from scratch. As I learn how to do things I write directions in a big text file so that when I reinstall I can just go through that list without needing to remember how I did various things. I find that redoing everything with a clean reinstall helps me become more comfortable with Linux. It's probably not a bad idea to keep your home directory (where most of your settings are) on a separate partition in case your system gets hosed (I don't, but I probably should). And many have a third partition for swap (I don't, and my system works just fine).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
markcynt

Re: Can I make a seperate partission for my data?

Post by markcynt »

Can I set up the same sort of thing in Mint and is this necessry?... if so how?
Yes, or you can use your Windows data partition. If you make a separate data partition use ntfs format.
P.S. When it commes to updating mint to what ever comes out after Gloria...will it be a case of starting frm scratch agin or o the updates just add the new stuff and keep ll your old settings...
You don't have to start from scratch as a rule.

Return to “Beginner Questions”