external monitor on netbook, pink box saying acer 17"

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
richardyates

external monitor on netbook, pink box saying acer 17"

Post by richardyates »

Ok I know this one is daft but I'm a relative newbie to linux so go softly on me!

I have attached an external monitor to my acer aspire one running mint gloria, and after a bit of tinkering got the desired screen res on the external monitor and switched off the internal monitor

So that's fine, except that I have a green box which says "Acer 17" in the top left hand corner of every screen, which is big enough to neatly hide the left hand menu header on every program I want to use. I can't seem to find any way to get rid of it (except removing the external monitor). On the netbook, when I re-enable the internal screen, I have a pink box doing the same thing except it says "Aspire One" (or something similar, I don't have it here)

I can't drag the box away. It doesn't respond to being left or right clicked, nor to closing the display application, so I'm stumped

all help gratefully received - I'm coming to this from a background of 20 years using everything from Dos 3.3 to windows XP, but more recently OSX, so I hope I can understand any answer!

TIA
Richard
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
emorrp1

Re: external monitor on netbook, pink box saying acer 17"

Post by emorrp1 »

As far as I'm aware, they are just the monitor identification tags the "Display" dialog puts on each screen, they should be removed when you close the "Display" application.

Return to “Beginner Questions”