Ubuntu 904 on PowerMac G4

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
emorrp1

Re: Ubuntu 904 on PowerMac G4

Post by emorrp1 »

lol, sounds like you had fun, though I myself steer clear of macs of all kinds, can't do without my mint now!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

LinuxN00b1985 wrote:The only serious problem I encounted is that the G4 PowerMac comes with a AGP ATI Rage 128 Pro Graphics card. (I'm sure it was top of the line 10 years ago but.... ) and apparently there are some nasty graphical problems with it. I couldn't get the desktop to register anything more than 600 x 800 and it didn't recognize the graphics card driver. It doesn't run Compiz at all
I couldn't get the desktop to register anything more than 600 x 800
Vram size of card limiting display resolutions available..
It doesn't run Compiz at al
No surprises there..

You can improve it..
http://www.justlinux.com/nhf/Hardware/G ... rking.html
You could try a lightweight desktop, like XFCE
http://www.xfce.org/
--that should be quicker..
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

You could try a lightweight desktop, like XFCE
That is a good suggestion. Fluxbox would also be a great choice.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

Debian & KDE3 runs nicely on a G4.

Our LUG has rejuvenated several G4 Macs and iMacs this way. Upgrade the ram during install, downgrade back to 256mb afterwards, makes a nice basic web-station. Plenty of educational games. Software runs quite well.
urosg3

Post by urosg3 »

I nave Powerbook G3 with 256 RAM and Debian Lenny installed on. My resolution is 1024x768 without compiz. Only real problem is decent Flash player, because Gnash is unstable.

Return to “Chat about Linux”