Networked Printer set up

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

in the mintconfig gui i think there is a printer gui.

Otherwise

open Firefox and put localhost:631 in the address bar.
this will open the CUPS printer admin web page where you can setup your printer.

:D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Boo wrote:open Firefox and put localhost:631 in the address bar.
And how is that supposed to reach his networked printer?? :D
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Networked Printer set up

Post by scorp123 »

duey121 wrote:I have tried but I am unsuccessful.
You have to be waaaay more precise ... No clue at all what you mean with "I have tried". :D

Did you follow the instructions in the manual of your 3210? Also, that Linksys router of your's ... is that an Ethernet router or are we talking about WLAN?

Basically you should make sure that your printer get's an IP address somehow. Either you need to configure that via the printer's front panel (the manual is your friend! :D ) and give it a fixed IP address or you need to configure DHCP somewhere somehow ... I don't suggest this as the printer would then likely change the IP address in regular intervals. So having a fixed IP address is definitely preferred here.

Once you got the IP address you have to make sure that your PC(s) and your printer can talk to each other. Please test this using the ping program, e.g. sending a ping from your PC to the printer's IP address:

Code: Select all

ping 192.168.1.101
The IP adress here is just an example; you have to use whatever IP address you assigned to the printer.

Once we are sure that TCP/IP is working properly you can move on and install the necessary drivers for your printer, then add it to your Linux system as "Network Printer". More (generic) details here:
http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cg ... Smart_3200
Fergus
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fergus »

duey, you need to go here and download the latest install.
which is found here

I have the hp 2575 model which is the one down from yours - i was too skint at the time to afford yours. This driver works perfect. My only advice is to install xsane before or after the driver install.

Good luck

edit: just follow scorps link- you found it!

Return to “Beginner Questions”