need to make a photo smaller in size

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AndyP79

need to make a photo smaller in size

Post by AndyP79 »

Hi Ya'll,
I have a photo that I need to make smaller. It is currently 1MB, but I need to make it 50KB. I don't even know what this is called, let alone a program to do this. ANyone know what I am talking about?
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: need to make a photo smaller in size

Post by exploder »

You can use Gimp to do what you want. Just open up the photo with Gimp and resave the file as a .jpg.
thx1138

Post by thx1138 »

You can also try gThumb. It has not as many features as Gimp, but does that job quickly.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Can't you just do this:

If you double click a png file "Eye of Gnome" - eog opens up. Do a save as - jpg and it becomes smaller in size. I think eog is installed by default, if not it's in Synaptic.

If your talking about actual size , as in x-y dimensions you could install nautilus-image-converter which adds "Resize Image" and "Rotate Image" to the context menu in nautilus.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Try GIMP's "Save to web" option.
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4

Return to “Beginner Questions”