Drivecrypt .dcv file and Linux

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kidego

Drivecrypt .dcv file and Linux

Post by kidego »

yes I'm a windows user coming over to "the dark side"..

Anyhow I have a lot of my personal documents in an encrypted file with a program called drivecrypt. Apparently they don't make a linux version yet. Does anyone know of anything similar or what I can use to open this .DCV file and gain access to my files?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Drivecrypt .dcv file and Linux

Post by DrHu »

kidego wrote:Anyhow I have a lot of my personal documents in an encrypted file with a program called drivecrypt. Apparently they don't make a linux version yet.
And if you still have windows, decrypt on windows and transfer files to Linux..

Or try this..
  • install wine
  • Install virtualbox
  • Install your copy of drivecrypt
  • Decrypt files with drivecrypt software..
http://drivecrypt-linux.qarchive.org/
Last edited by DrHu on Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Can you open these files and copy and past the content into OpenOffice Writer? You can password protect your files in OpenOffice then. I searched but was unable to find a Linux application that could use the .dvc extension. I am sorry I could not find a more ideal solution for you. Welcome to LinuxMint!

Edit: Check out the link in the above post. We must have posted around the same time!
kidego

Post by kidego »

I don't have windows installed at the moment.. and that link is just a sales pitch DrHu.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

kidego wrote:I don't have windows installed at the moment.. and that link is just a sales pitch DrHu.
And the other options, install wine or virtualbox
--because, being a windows only encryption application, I think that is the only legitimate way you will be able to get to those files..
kidego

Post by kidego »

I'll have to give those a shot. Thanks for the help.
kidego

Post by kidego »

wine installed it, but when trying to run it after it says it's missing a driver...

installed windows in virtualbox... but I can't seem to share my own hdd's with the virtual box version of windows. I'm sure it's operator error so any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Return to “Software & Applications”