Windows Printer via Samba Missing [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Snydar

Windows Printer via Samba Missing [SOLVED]

Post by Snydar »

Hi! Since I did a fresh install from Mint 7 RC to Mint 7, I am having trouble adding a printer.

I choose Printing from the Mint Menu and click New. There used to be a Windows Printer via Samba option when I was using the RC, but it is not there in this fresh Mint 7 install. How can I get the option back? It was incredibly simple to install the printer that way. I have now tried a few different methods, but can't get them to work.

I am able to connect to the shared files on the target XP machine just fine, and the printer is shared.

Any ideas why that option is missing?

Thanks!
Screenshot-New Printer.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Windows Printer via Samba Missing

Post by altair4 »

That is very strange.
If you go to CUPS directly is the "Windows Printer via Samba" option missing?

Open your favorite browser
Type localhost:631
Select Add Printer
Device: "Windows Printer via Samba"
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Snydar

Post by Snydar »

altair4 wrote:That is very strange.
If you go to CUPS directly is the "Windows Printer via Samba" option missing?

Open your favorite browser
Type localhost:631
Select Add Printer
Device: "Windows Printer via Samba"
Yes, it is also missing there too. :(
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

My first thought is that cups itself is corrupted somehow. I would try to reinstall cups from synaptic.

The version of cups that I have is:
apt version cups
1.3.9-17ubuntu3.2
When was the last time you did the mintUpdate?
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Snydar

Post by Snydar »

I frequently use mintUpdate and have the same version installed.

I tried to reinstall, but still the option is missing.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

This is getting stranger and stranger. Go into Synaptic and see if the following packages are installed:

libsmbclient
smbclient
python-smbc

If not install them.
Snydar

Post by Snydar »

smbclient was not installed. I'll reboot and check if that fixes things.

Edit: Actually, no reboot was necessary. The option is now there like it should be!
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Windows Printer via Samba Missing [SOLVED]

Post by altair4 »

Whew, I'm glad that fixed it. The bigger question is how in the world could a fresh install of Mint leave out smbclient :?:

Return to “Beginner Questions”