Where are the shared folders?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Hellishcross

Where are the shared folders?

Post by Hellishcross »

Hi,
Here is a noob question: I got my wireless network up and running in Mint 6 XFCE... so where do I go (or what do I do) to find the shared folders on my network that are being hosted by the windows machines in my network?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lagagnon

Re: Where are the shared folders?

Post by lagagnon »

Menu, Places, Network
Hellishcross

Post by Hellishcross »

Ok I found the /home/MYUSERNAME/Network folder but it disappears after about the first 5 minutes of using my computer after a restart... any ideas? It will appear again if I restart but it still goes away.
BoomerFZ1

Post by BoomerFZ1 »

I tried every which way to get to my Windows shares when I first starting running Mint. I'm quite new like you so the obvious way was my go to, right? Well...somewhere I saw this "SMB://[ipaddress] and I was able to see all my shares on that PC. Still can't use the Gui network utilities, but....
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Hellishcross wrote:Ok I found the /home/MYUSERNAME/Network folder but it disappears after about the first 5 minutes of using my computer after a restart... any ideas? It will appear again if I restart but it still goes away.
The "Network" folder itself in Menu, Places, Network disappears or the shares it displays disappears ?

Before it disappears can you access the windows shares?

Have you lost internet access as well when it disappears or is it just the shares ?

Do the windows shares require authentication - username and password - or can anyone access them?
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Winbind in Samba might work the best (windows + Linux users)..
http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.c ... hp/3499006
Hellishcross

Post by Hellishcross »

The Network folder itself disappears. Before it disappears I can access the shared windows folders inside it. I don't actually have Internet on my wireless network. My Internet is mobile broadband from my cellphone.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

At first it sounded like you just lost your network connection. After the shares disappear, ping the ip address of the windows box you're trying to access:

Open Terminal
Type ping 192.168.0.100
Change 192.168.0.100 to the real ip address of the Windows box.

But if the Network Folder itself disappears in thunar then that's something else. I'm not familiar enough with XFCE to know for sure what this is.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Beginner Questions”