migrate to mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vaikz

migrate to mint

Post by vaikz »

Hi,

I'm an ubuntu user, installing on my rig is ubuntu intrepid. I didn't have success installing jaunty on my rig, it freezes before I can update anything so I installed intrepid instead.

I know that mint is based on ubuntu and I would like to migrate to mint 6 w/c is the same version as intrepid. Is there a way to do it by not formatting or deleting all my download programs and updates? I've been searching the net but can't find a decent answer.

Thanks. Vaikz
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
fwc

Re: migrate to mint

Post by fwc »

There isn't a lot you can do to save all the software. A lot of your personal settings and files are in your home directory but the software itself will probably have to be re-downloaded. I looked around for a while when I upgraded from Mint 6 to 7 but I didn't find anything. Fortunately, Linux generally comes with a fair amount of software already installed so you don't have to download much (more than Windows by default).
vaikz

Post by vaikz »

Yeah, i know. But most of the installed applications are for my kids. I believe that once you download the files (.deb) it is stored somewhere else. Is it possible to retrieve them and use it? So that I don't have to download again. And Also the update is quite big. Can I use all the downloaded files as repository?
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

vaikz wrote:I believe that once you download the files (.deb) it is stored somewhere else. Is it possible to retrieve them and use it? So that I don't have to download again. And Also the update is quite big. Can I use all the downloaded files as repository?
I believe that once you download the files (.deb) it is stored somewhere else
It; apt or synaptic temporarily stores files here /var/cache/apt/archives, until it installs the packages, then it cleans up the downloaded file
--you can adjust the disposition of downloaded files, but you can't do it after the fact, so if you deleted from cache, then those files are gone, and a new download/install sequence is needed for a reinstall of the package file *.deb

Can I use all the downloaded files as repository?
aptonCD is a method to maintain a local list of installed/installable files(packages)
http://aptoncd.sourceforge.net/
  • apt-cache search aptoncd
    aptoncd - Installation disc creator for packages downloaded via APT
Screenshot of synaptic cache settings for downloaded files..

Return to “Beginner Questions”