Reinstalling Mint before Vista

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
theevilone6620

Reinstalling Mint before Vista

Post by theevilone6620 »

Okay so I have took vista off my drive and plan on reinstalling both Os's this time with Mint first and Vista second. I have my partitions setup right and was just confused about one thing. Right at step seven right before you confim the install. If you go into the advanced options it asks you were you want to install the bootloader. The default being hd0, however if you go into the options it lists dev/sda, devsda1,dev/sda2, dev/sda3 My before I had i had told it to sstallin GRUB on the partition that MINT was installing on but that was when vista was first. Now that mint is going to be my first and maybe only install, i might not even add vista I might wait till 7 is released actually. Do u just go with the default???
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RedWagon

Re: Reinstalling Mint before Vista

Post by RedWagon »

If you install Windows second it will overwrite your MBR erasing Grub. This is really easy to fix, just burn a Super Grub disk, boot it and it should be able to automatically restore Grub so that you can properly dual boot. An easier solution is to install Windows first, and then Linux second. Linux will recognize that Windows is there and automatically add it to the boot options if you install it second.
Fred

Post by Fred »

theevilone6620,

In a word, yes. RedWagon's commentary is also relevant to the later install of Windows.

Fred
theevilone6620

Post by theevilone6620 »

ok now should swap be the last partition of my install? Also im wondering what a good sizze for it is. I have a x64bit system with 4GB of physical RAM I was thinking around 2GB as when I had my last mint install on this system it never even touched the swap?? Thanks for the help guys
Fred

Post by Fred »

theevilone6620,

If this is a laptop that you may want to hibernate then 4.5 Gig swap at the end of the partition table. A desktop that won't be hibernated, 1 Gig would be plenty, also at the end of the partition table. It will probably almost never be used anyway on a general purpose desktop.

Fred
RedWagon

Post by RedWagon »

ok im really confused here. I am installing mint first right with 3 partitions, one for/ one for home and one for swap. I will install windows 7 in a few months. Now if I install grub to MBR i no 7 will overwrite it so my plan was to install it to the / partition so that i can just configure 7 bootloader with bce and all will be good. however im unsure as to whether or not if i install grub to / now if i will be able to even boot my system? Doesnt GRUB have to go on MBR if its the only os on the drive?
Go ahead and put GRUB on / and you should be fine. GRUB is too big to fit in the MBR and is actually moves out of the MBR to the partition you specify before it boots. To put things simply GRUB is installed halfway on the MBR and halfway on a partition.
When you install 7 or Vista the MBR will be wiped out and so that first stage of GRUB will not load. To fix that just burn a copy of the Super Grub bootable disc and it has utilities that will restore GRUB back to the MBR which will then allow it to reach its second half on /

Return to “Beginner Questions”