How do I remove a Mint install

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
forger

How do I remove a Mint install

Post by forger »

Solid gold noob question. I want to upgrade from Felicia to Gloria, the Mint blog recommends that the safest way is uninstalling the existing installation and replacing it with a clean install of Gloria. I have Mint on a partition on my windows machine so how do I go about removing Felicia safely and cleanly? The Linux partition is on a different HDD from the Windows install.

Hope you can help
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: How do I remove a Mint install

Post by Aging Technogeek »

There is no need to remove the present install of Felicia. You can install Gloria right over Felicia. When the installer asks how to partition the drive for Gloria, Choose "Manual (or I think it may be Custom in Gloria) Install". When the partition table comes up select the existing ext3 partitions containing Mint 6 and check "Edit Partition". Leave the partition size the same, Check "Format", Select the partition label (/, or /home) to correspond to the Mint 6 partition being replaced, select ext3 or ext4, and click "Okay". The Mint 7 installation will overwrite the Mint 6 installation with no problems.

BTW, you don't have to touch your swap partition. Swap is the same for all Linux installations.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

I too am a Linux noob but not a noob wrt computers... The fastest, cleanest, and easiest way that I can think of to remove Felicia is to remove the partition(s) that it resides on. This can be done when you boot to the live Gloria CD (I use a UFD). Menu>Control Center>System>Partition editor will get you there <be sure to back up any important data B4 you remove any partitions> Once the partition(s) in question is/are removed you can go right to the install. In the install process, you will be asked where you want to install Gloria - one of the choices will be "Unused space" - select that one! :D The install routine will take it from there and do a "vanilla" (default configuration) install.
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
forger

Post by forger »

Thanks Aging Technogeek and Reorx, this is just the help I was looking for.

My current install is very recent but there are a few settings etc that I would like to keep if I can. How can I save and reuse my Firefox settings and bookmarks?

I have my TV card up and running with Kaffeine, is there anything of the set up for that that I could/should save to use with Gloria?

cheers
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

Firefox settings are stored in ~/.mozilla/firefox
You could just save the whole directory and copy across what you need later. Or use FF to do a file import on the new version.
I have no idea what you did to get the TV Tuner working so can't help you there. It is a good idea to keep a small log (a note-taking application is good for that) of any tuning you do to your system so you can replicate it when you do change/upgrade distros.

What I suggest is when you install Gloria is to create a distinct /home partition, that way you save all your own settings for the next time you upgrade.

Return to “Beginner Questions”