Dual Boot: GRUB finds XP but fails to Launch

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
markcynt

Re: Dual Boot: GRUB finds XP but fails to Launch

Post by markcynt »

Can you please post a screenshot of Gparted open so I can see what the present partition scheme is?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Come on now people. Give markcynt a break here. He doesn't have ESP, at least I don't think he does. :-)

Is this two people with two similar problems? If so, Lilli, you should start a new thread. If not you need to let him know. Are you dealing with XP or Vista? It makes a difference. What he was asking for was a screen shot of your partition table taken through gparted. It is a partitioning program that you can find in the menu. He didn't say repartition. He is just seeking information about your system. :-)

Try again. And welcome to the Linux Mint forum. :-)

Fred
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Lilli - it may pay to re-install your Mint O/S again.
that is - use the live cd to format & install the O/S again, as per the install button.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

I can't see anything wrong with that setup.

Either it's coincidence or Mint somehow messed up XP. I never cared for the side by side option. I don't believe Grub is the problem.

My advice is to try a repair install of XP, unless you have nothing to lose, in which case I would start from scratch and use a better partitioning scheme.

http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

You will probably lose your ability to boot into Mint no matter what you choose. Then you would have to reinstall Grub and there's no guarantees there either.

As for me, I would start from scratch since I've always kept my data separate from the OS.

Return to “Installation & Boot”