simple file sharing firewall settings??

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
comfy

simple file sharing firewall settings??

Post by comfy »

Hello,

I liked Linux Mint so much that I installed it on my desktop (wiped windows :D ) aswell as my Laptop.

Sorry for the n00bish question, but I'm having a little trouble getting the simple file sharing between the two to work with the firewall enabled. Basically if both machines have the firewall disabled I can share files. When enabled it doesnt work (obviously). So can anyone tell me what settings I need to enter into the firewall so that I can have it enabled on both machines. Both computers are connected to a wireless router. I'm guessing i need to just open some ports but do not know which ones.

Thanks for any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lagagnon

Re: simple file sharing firewall settings??

Post by lagagnon »

I'm not an expert in these matters but you need to allow the Samba ports as you have assumed correctly. There is a small bash script using iptables here:
http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki ... leshooting

Return to “Beginner Questions”